1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First Shot with new setup

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by ERAUGrad04, Sep 12, 2008.

1. ERAUGrad04

ERAUGrad04

Jan 15, 2008
    IL
    Ok, I had no intentions of the first picture being of our cat! I cot home after lunch and my freinds at Brown had made a delivery! :biggrin: I get everything unpacked and setup figuring that my wife will pose for me later this evening when she gets home. Wrong! Nothing lures our cat from the wood work like something that is black. Black work slacks...black muslin backdrops...you get the point. So before long, the cat is up on the chair that I set in the new "studio." Well, what a better way to try some things out.

First shot with the new portable studio:

Kitty_Shoot.
    NIKON D90    ---    50mm    f/5.0    1/200s    ISO 200

Setup:
    D90
    Nikkor 50mm 1.4 @ f/5
    1-SB-800 camera right shot through umbrella as fill (originally main but cat flipped around on me)
    1-SB-600 camera left shot through umbrella as main
    Background Black Muslin hung from 2 Heavy Duty 10' Impact stands and Manfrotto adjustable 9.5' rod.

Thanks for looking!

2. My cat's a ham, too. . . . And about the size of a large one, at that! :biggrin:

Nice shot! Have fun with those strobes. I know I to with mine. :smile:

3. itsmike

itsmike

Mar 2, 2008
    Greenlawn NY
    Great shot, Cool Cat..

4. The light's very nice, ERAUGrad04 {insert first name}. The framing is a little awkward, though.

For what it's worth, there are two lighting forums...

The Studio Equipment and Lighting forum discussions are usually related to plug-in strobe based lighting systems... powerful lights like those offered by Elinchrom and Alien Bee. There are battery options for the big rigs, too, but for the most part, the talk is about fixed studio setups.

The General flash photography, lighting, and techniques forum discussions are usually related to Speedlight based lighting systems. It's the home for portable studios, and the Strobist approach.

There's a lot of crossover, but you'll probably garner more responses and suggestions if you post in the forum best related to your gear.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.