1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First shot with the 180

Discussion in 'People' started by Czechman01, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Took my X and newly acquired 180/f2.8 into town today and I couldn't resist this character.
    Of course, shot wide open.

original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2007
  2. wow! i need to learn a thing or two about black and white. that looks great, woody.

3. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Awesome as usual. Is that a Dude or a Chick?

4. Actually, that's a fair question now that I look at it again... it's a guy. Note the chin stubble.

5. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    Wow! This is sweet. I can see more great images coming from this lens. You may have initiated my Lens Lust Disease. :redface:

6. Woody
    I am so glad you contribute here. Your work is both inspiring and generates the desire to improve in me.
    Dave

7. Woody, great shot! You have a 180/2.8 too? Did Stu sell you his? Now I'm thinking maybe I need one of those...

8. Thanks Laura. This shot just happens to lend itself well to my litmus test for a good B&W - it has contrast and texture.

Thanks Banhup... Go for it... I got mine for under $450 and it's mint with all the original goodies including the hard case. It is to the 200VR what the 35-70 is to the 28-70 - 90% of the IQ for tiny fraction of the price.

Thanks Dave! There's an awful amount of talent here these days so I'm flattered.

No, Stu still has his... I think. I got mine from another Cafe member on the For Sale forum.

9. Awesome portrait. This sort of character would attract my eye as well.

10. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Nice shot Woody. Could be Richard Petty incognito...

11. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    An excellent example of why this lens is one of the best values out there for people shots.......I still have mine......it's a keeper.

Guess that dude never got within a mile of a bottle of sunscreen in his life.:eek: 

12. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

probably bought turtle oil on the beach in Mexico first thing like I did 30 years ago....groan.

Great shot Woody.

13. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I agree with you completely about this lens. Excellent use of it, Woody. :smile:

14. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I think it's a dudette. Great shot.

15. Hey Woody, congratulations on your 180mm! I love mine, it never leaves my bag except for when I know I need the 70-200 (mostly when I know I will need VR). A great lens, which you put - as always - to a very good use: great portrait, the textures on his face made him a great subject. Very good BW conversion as well! Thanks for sharing :biggrin:

16. i definitely thought it was a chick. haha!

17. Samer

Samer

Sep 19, 2006
    Jupiter, FL
    Actually, I thought it was a dude and didn't think twice about it...

until someone asked, then I looked back and started to doubt, good thing Woody cleared it up quickly. Should have stuck with my first instinct.

Woody, Nice job with the acquisition and first use of the 180.

18. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Welcome to the 180 club!

Mine is never out of the bag (unless it's on the camera :biggrin:) .

You should try it with film if you get the chance. Like buttah!

19. Like the others, at first I wasn't sure about the gender of the subject.

Great photo. Looks like the lens is a wonderful one!

20. nice capture Woody.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.