First shots with my new 300mm f/4 AF-S !

JPS

Hi !

The only thing I found to give me some "hhmmmpf" photographycally-wise was to get myself a new lens :smile: !

I've been waiting for a loooong time for a 300mm -at least-, but as the finances haven't been so good lately, the best I could buy was the Nikon 300mm f/4 AF-S, with a 1.4x Kenko converter !

Here's a few images I shot this last days ! The EXIF datas are embedded !

First, the lens "barefoot" at 300mm. on (FX) D700 !

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

...then with the 1.4x Kenko converter = 420mm. on the (FX) D700 !

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

...and the last one, at 300mm., 7 feet away, a quick shot indoors, on my kitchen table, with only the kitchen light, at ISO 2500 !!! The "COW-BANK is only 4 inches high and 6 inches long !

original.jpg

All the shots have been shot handheld ! I'm VERY VERY IMPRESSED !!! ...apart from the excellent sharpness, the lens seems to "pull the light in" so much that I even have to dial MINUS 0.7 EV in camera ! ...even when using the 1.4x converter !!! INCREDIBLE !!!

Of course, I haven't got any eagles or such wild stuff to show... and I haven't got -yet- the "knack" for shooting BIRD IN FLIGHT, but.... I will try and try and try...

A happy shooter !!!

J-P.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're off to a really great start!! Those photos are nice & sharp. I love the first one especially - it's an angle on a gull I don't see too often. Enjoy your new toy - I've gotten some wonderful shots with that lens.

--Sarah

Excellent first try with your new lens. It is working great. Now go get us a nice flight shot.

JPS

Thanks guys !

I'm really excited by this lens ! I was prepared to have to face a long learning curve to get good results, but apparently I won't !

Still I don't really understand -but certainly do not complain- what makes it so bright that I must dial in -0.7 EV ! I shot a serie of images in different places, during the week, -without chimping-, in different lit environments, and in the end, I noticed that they were almost ALL a bit overexposed ! ...and I tried "Spot" as well as "Color Matrix" and "Center Weighted" metering ! ...and I get the same result with the 1.4x Kenko converter !

Now, I have to experiment BIF (or PIF -plane in flight-, to please SLA12 !), and THAT certainly will be another challenge !

:smile:
J-P.

Congrats JP! You will love this little baby,I really like shooting it naked....at 300mm that is:tongue:

JP,

:875: #3 is OUTSTANDING!!! Don't know about the extra light gathering, but I know that I love my 300mm f/4. Just a terrific lens. ((And I think the world better beware now that one resides in your hands. :tongue:))

The 300mm F4 is one of the lenses on my shortlist now that I have a D700. Very nice to see such great shots with it!

I'll have to make do with my 70-300 for the interim!

Please post more!

JPS

Thanks Tim ! I'm also very happy with the result I got with the 1.4x converter on !

........I think the world better beware now that one resides in your hands. :tongue:))
Wow ! What a compliment ! (where's this damn BLUSHING icon when one needs it ???) Do you want to marry me ?

Thanks "kixsand" ! I've been longing for months for the 300 f/4, but in the end I managed to grab the $$$ to get it !

:smile:
J-P.

Congrats on the new lens, great sharpness for it. I have one that I am not too impressed with and thing about replacing with a new model.

Michael

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom