First shots with my new 50mm f1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by pixelharmony, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Just got the D300 and the 50mm 1.4 in today, couldn't resist but to go out and shoot before the sun went down.

Seems the Nikon @ 0 saturation is still gathers more than my 40D did in jpg mode. I also found that it seems to love to gather blues when monitoring the RGB curves.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BOKEH!
    [​IMG]

My never ending battle to try to beat harsh foliage.
    [​IMG]

2. Looking great. Love the DOF and the bokeh on a few of those. Congrats on the new buys.

3. The 50mm lens, all of the sudden and due to the popularity of the FX format, seems to be gaining favor among photographers. Indeed, till the advent of good quality mid range zooms it was a popular lens and years back used to be the "kit" lens when buying a camera. Few will argue that its optics are among the best corrected in all photography and indeed, it is very difficult to find a 50mm lens that will not be sharp and contrasty regardless of manufacturer.
    The only controversial discussion today about this lens is what version to buy. The 50mm f1.4 is far better constructed than the f1.8 version and many claim it is optically better. If the extra 2/3 stop is necessary for better low light performance you know what to buy and be aware you will pay dearly for that 2/3 extra stop. The f1.8 version is a bargain and we do not find any other lenses with f1.8 maximum aperture for about $100.
    I have used both and I consider both excellent.
    In my case, since I am not a low light shooter I stayed with the f1.8.
    Yours are great images that demonstrate the capabilities of these lenses.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

4. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    The Nikkor 50 is the most versitle in the line up. And a must have for serious photography. Time tested, tough as nails, sharp as a tack. If you know what your doing , you can shoot sports, people, product, animals, wedding's, landscape low light and P.J. Add on Pk rings or a reversing ring and it will do macro .......OO I knew when the FX format "finally" came back to Nikon , the Nikkor 50 1.4 was going to be the lens to have. Maby we should change the name from normal to "extraordinaire"
    I wouldnt be surprised that when Nikon introduces there new D3x that they show it with a new 50 1.4 AFS. I for one Im sick and tired of hearing about how more versitile zoom lens are :rolleyes:, than the mighty 50 1.4. If you learn to use the Nikkor 50 1.4 ,and I mean , "really learn", its unbeatable. By the way 50 mm is roughly the diagonal of a 24-36 rectangle. Just remember, not normal, Extrordinaire.

Gregory

5. my second favorite Lens, first is mt 85 1.4, i love them! 50 on FF rocks!

6. When I was shooting Canon the 50mm 1.8 was my first prime. I soon moved onto the 50mm 1.4 due to better AF, build quality, and f1.4.

Still IMO it's a bit too long for a dx sensor, making the 30mm Sigma my next choice in lens. The 50mm is a keeper for sure! And for some reason Adorama had the US version for $290 shipped so I had to pull the trigger :)

7. keko

keko

Jul 20, 2007
    Barcelona
    Nice shots, thanks for posting them.

I'm thinking about getting the 50 1.4 although I own the cheaper 50 1.8D.... But from your flower shots I feel that the bokeh is not that much better than the 50 1.8's...

Anyone with both that wants to comment on differences?

8. JoJo2Fast

JoJo2Fast

Nov 20, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    Love the bokeh in those shots! Congrats on the new lens, I definitely need to get my hands on either the 1.4 or 1.8.

9. I dont own one...:wink:

Well i do own the 50/1,8D, never use it though. Im planning on adding the Nikkor 50/1,4 to my kit for a few days when i get the sigma 50/1,4 just for comparisons sake. Im doing a comparison between all my fifties and the vg 58/1,4

OP:
    Some really nice images. #3 simply excellent.

Well i personally dont find the bokeh particulary good, of none of them.

But the Nikkor 50/1,4 seems to pull ahead when it comes to bokeh.

Well as i said, i dont find any of the particulary good, but the 50/1,8 certainly looks like the worst out of the two.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2008
  10. Hey Paul
    When you ger your Sigma, could you post your compairison shots between the nikon, sig & vg? Im really curious about the sigma.

Thanks in advance.

11. Hey Paul, Can you borrow the 2 ZF 50's and include in your assessment?

12. Pixel, I noticed you shot that waterfall at iso 100. Have you found a marked difference over 200 or were you doing that to aid in the slower shutter speed

glenn

13. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Hey Paul, Than I guess your not serious than are you:tongue:. Okay, so maby I went a little to far there. Like I tell my cat when I walk by and the cat hamstrings me, "you got me". However, to further my point about the mighty Nikkor 50 1.4. The exercise was to teach equivillent exposer', depth of feild and perspective and focus and exposer. As well as use of the tridod, developing and printing. But over the years and more so latley, I think it was/is a really great way to learn the basic principle's and inverse relationship between the "key components" of photgraphy. As on goes up another goes down. It's the way of the universe.

I'll give a little taste of what the lesson was, just remember It's been 20 years since I got my A, so I might be a little rusty. But I think what is great, is that because I understand the principle's and use them everyday. I should be able to pull this off. Oh, right after I get my kids that just woke up breakfast. Sorry

Gregory

14. I haven't run any tests yet (which I should when I find time over the weekend). I just shot it @ 100 to see what it would look like.

15. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    the bokeh is not very pleasant...reminds me of the 60's
    the waterfall shot is superb

16. Some liked the Bokeh of this lens, some did not. Other than for postings on Lens Lust is a len's Bokeh as important given the improvements in Photoshop, the plugins other editors etc. Other than being a pain to do is it possible to creat a pleasing Bokeh and if it is, is Lens Bokeh less relevant as a criteria.?

17. The waterfall was hand held :)

But in my experience foliage is about the hardest thing you can capture great bokeh.

This lens has smiliar characteristics to the Canon 50mm and personally I like it. When stopped down this is a tack sharp performer too!

18. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    i like mine alot also and find it very sharp at 1.4

19. Well i dont need to borrow them. :wink:

I will buy a new Nikkor 50/1,4 soley for this comparison.(Wich i have no intention to keep)

Lenses compared will be

Nikkor 50/1,8D AF
    Nikkor 50/1,4 AF
    Zeiss 50/1,4
    Zeiss 50/2 Makro planar
    Voigtländer 58/1,4

20. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

and we already KNOW the winner will be -> z50 f2 planar
    :wink: