First shots with the 200-400VR (Da Monsta)

I received this lens yesterday from Cameta Camera, let me tell you this is one big chunk of glass, I am calling it da Monsta.
Well got home form work and was able only to take about 5 shots due to out of town company arriving.
It is a dream on my Markins M20 with Sidekick, I don't know how any one could handhold this lens with out a mono pod. Well of course here are my obligatory "First shots with" post. Nothing spectacular but just had to post something
Img1053.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Img1052.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Very nice Mike. I expect that you will fall in love with that lens, and I look forward to many, many more beautiful images. :wink:

Wish I had one. 8)

Thanks Frank, I am sure I will liek anythign else it is goign to take some gettign used to, cant wait to get some big birds in its crosshiars!
BTW the Cafe is zipping a long this AM hasnt perfromed this well in a while kudos to a job well done

Those are pretty nice

I see if my EXIF Viewer you used the flash and the shutter was at 1/60th. Was the light that low that the shutter went down to the min shutter spd set in-cam? What did you have the SB set to?
btw, I did a couple handhelds with mine when I 1st got it, just to prove it could be done by a 175 lb weakling. :wink: The Markin's/Sidekick/mono setup is just the ticket! Can't wait to see more!

Steven
The light was very low an approaching thunderstorm made the sky very dark about 1/10 sec at f 5.6 without the flash. I set the cam on A priority and set the cam to f8 and the SB800 was set to TTL/FP mode with -2/3 EV dialed in.

I see,

mike mac said:
Steven
The light was very low an approaching thunderstorm made the sky very dark about 1/10 sec at f 5.6 without the flash. I set the cam on A priority and set the cam to f8 and the SB800 was set to TTL/FP mode with -2/3 EV dialed in.
So in iTTL-FP, it was used as the main source of light, as opposed to the iTTL--FP-BL which is fill flash mode?

Hi Mike,

Congratulations on the new aquisition. I've on seen "da monsta" once before and it is definately a handful. I know that it will serve you well and can't wait to see more images real soon.

Congratulations on the big glass. I like mine , although its the first and only big gun I ve owned.

You defintely have to have something in mind to carry it around for, not your walk around lens.But I think youll like the sharpness.Look forward to seeing you use it.

Ok-So first of all you said 200-400. Even if the shot was out of focus or whatever. You have a 200-400! That would always put a smile on my face. Those damn out-of-towners always showing up at the wrong times! Right when the new toys arrive. Always seems to happen that way :D

I am sure you will be posting some excellent shots. And if you just cannot get the hang of the lens - I will gladly store it safely for you here in Texas.

Hey Mike, those are fantastic shots. I've been lusting over getting that lens myself. I have the 70-200VR and the 300f4 but I think I the Lens like the one you got is going to be my next one. Thanks for shareing, they are great.
Pete

Thanks to everyone

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, I am hoping to put this bear through the paces this week while I am on vacation

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Way to go Mike! Looking forward to many nice posts from Da Monsta!

I'll be very curious to see how the 200-400 does with VR on with a Tripod, my 300VR does not do as well on a tripod with VR on...

Congratulations buddy!!! Damn cant keep up with you :) . Beautiful pics. Man you going to make the Da Monsta sing!!!

Hey how are you making out with the better beamer, if memory serves me correctly you have one, you might get more use now. Now if I could just figure mine out. LOL!!!

Look forward to seeing many more pics and again congrats, Im envious!!! Start lifing weights, putting that VR on tripod is just a waste ;-)

Latest threads

Top Bottom