First shots with the 70-200VR

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by manzico, Dec 18, 2005.

1. I suppose I should put this in the Macro/Flowers and Greenery thread, but I'm posting it here because it's also about my first impressions of the 70-200VR. WOW!!! This lens is definitely in a different class from the rest of my lenses. It's nearly as good at the edge of the image as it is in the center. Even in the most taxing conditions, there's barely a hint of chromatic aberation. And it's sharp... man is it sharp. I can see what people mean when they say that you have to be on top of your game to use this lens. And VR is a revelation. As an engineer, I understand how it works, and expected it to function well, but using it is really fantastic. It's actually fun to use. It can be a little heavy, but it's really not that bad. The tripod collar is great and the fast release is really well executed. It's winter in the desert so there's not much color to speak of at the botanical gardens, so alot of these are in b&w, but here you go anyway... some shots from my 70-200VR:

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

Sorry for the long post, but I just had to share. I love this lens. As always, any and all comments are very welcome.

Dave

2. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Congrats for your VR70-200.Nice pics.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great images.

70-200 is one of the greatest lenses.
    Congratulations !!!!!

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    David,

I can definitely see why you are excited. These are really nice images. I predict a long, enjoyable, and productive relationship. :smile:

5. Very creative use of your new lens. Keep it up, you will love the 70-200.

6. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Have fun with it. I use the Kenko Ext tubes with my 70-200VR for close-ups and they work fine (get the set of 3). If you are using the lens on a digital body with a crop factor, you can get a larger lens hood for it. The hood for the 80-200 AFS fits the 70-200VR and doesn't vignette. It provides much better flare reduction.

7. About the Kenko tubes...

Baywing,

It looks like the extension tubes contain all the contacts necessary, I'm assuming this means that everything will still work when mounted on my D100 (AF, VR, metering, etc.). Is this true? Also, how do they compare to something like the Canon 500D closeup lens. I understand that the extension tubes add no more glass so there should be little effect on optical quality, but what is the difference from a practical perspective between the two options?

thanks,

Dave

8. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I have the set of 3, and they work on my D100, been using them for years. The short one only works intermittently, but I'm assuming it's a contact problem. The middle one is the better size anyway, that one does VR and AF, and meters. You have hit the advantage for the tubes, no change in optical quality. You also get the DOF from the lens. The 500D and add on diopters are known for drastically decreasing DOF and you really have a short working range, you also have to be rather close to your subject. Depends on your subject, but the butterflies don't like a camera lens shoved at them and the flash is better on a bracket above the lens. I mount the bracket to the tripod shoe on the lens and the flash sits atop. It clears the lens hood very nicely and the light looks more natural, less like on-camera flash. The diopters usually have quality issues the farther you go from center. I've used both, the tubes and the Nikon 5T, 6T and for most things, I prefer the tubes. The downside is that you loose some light with the tubes.

9. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    David, you make my mouth water :tongue: . Did you have to do it, post these pictures :Bohoo: ?

Then again, I'll never get those pictures anyway, no matter what lense.

These are some nice shots! You'll going to have a good time with your new 70-200VR.