First shots with the 85/1.8

Discussion in 'People' started by SP77, Jul 27, 2007.

1. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Katie was in need of a little extra TLC today. On Wednesday she got 4 shots in honor of her 4 month checkup :rolleyes: and I think all of the shots were still hurting her poor little thighs a bit. Anyhow, here's some pics with the newly acquired glass. :smile:

1/100s, f/1.8, -0.7EV, M, iso320, Flash OFF, Shade WB
    [​IMG]

1/125s, f/1.8, -0.7EV, A, iso400, Flash OFF, Cloudy WB
    [​IMG]

1/125s, f/1.8, -0.7EV, A, iso450, Flash OFF, Cloudy WB
    [​IMG]

1/125s, f/1.8, -0.7EV, A, iso640, Flash OFF, Cloudy WB
    [​IMG]

1/125s, f/1.8, -0.7EV, A, iso450, Flash OFF, Cloudy WB
    [​IMG]

1/125s, f/1.8, -0.7EV, A, iso250, Flash OFF, Cloudy WB
    [​IMG]

1/125s, f/1.8, -1.3EV, A, iso250, Flash OFF, Cloudy WB
    [​IMG]

1/125s, f/2.5, -1.3EV, A, iso400, Flash OFF, Cloudy WB
    [​IMG]

1/40s, f/2.5, -0.7EV, M, iso360, Flash OFF, Auto WB
    [​IMG]

(Auto ISO set to minimum of 1/125s since I had no idea of what kind of shutter speeds I'd be able to get away with on this lens as I'd just pulled it out of the box and wanted to make sure I got some good pics, lol)

Thanks nute! :biggrin: The 85 is juuuuuust right. Has the reach that I need, and also the speed. Glad I changed my mind. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2007
  2. TVayos

TVayos Guest

Nice shots. I have been thinking about this lense too.

3. By the last few shots she looks like shes feeling a little better.

4. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

wow Spencer,,,,these r great! whata cutie!
    ...congrats sir
    ;-))

5. Very nice, just a great lens and the resukt speak for themselves. I really like the 5th picture and the last one :biggrin:

6. Very nice, just a great lens and the resukt speak for themselves. I really like the 5th picture and the last one :biggrin:

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice shots

Too yellow here and WB seems off

8. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    nice shots... Really warm pictures to me. I'd take that wb down a bit

9. You've got some real keepers there. Congratulations.

I too just picked up this lens....it is wonderful for indoor use.

The WB problem folks mention is an issue with Nikon's Auto WB. Always leaves indoor incandescent shots looking yellow....might want to try setting WB for incandescent in the camera next time...that generally works better. Auto WB seems to work well in most other lighting situations.

10. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    Wow. The first shot gives me bokeh jealousy. Great job.

How'd you light the pictures?

11. chrisnck

chrisnck

Jul 19, 2007
    mass
    Yeah great bokeh I love that lens

12. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Thanks everybody. hmmm...white balance? Actually the natural light was much much much cooler. It was afternoon overcast light coming in from the window. I warmed it up with either the Shade or Cloudy WB settings. All natural lighting.

Here's a couple more:

1/125s, f/2.8, -0.7EV, P, iso100, Flash OFF, Auto WB
    [​IMG]

1/200s, f/1.8, -0.7EV, S, iso100, bounced SB-400, Shade WB (mommy)
    [​IMG]

1/200s, f/1.8, -0.7EV, S, iso100, bounced SB-400, Shade WB (grandma)
    [​IMG]

1/30s, f/1.8, -0.7EV, S, iso900, Flash OFF, Auto WB (tummy time!)
    [​IMG]

1/50s, f/1.8, -0.7EV, S, iso1400, Flash OFF, Auto WB
    [​IMG]

1/60s, f/1.8, -0.7EV, S, iso1100, Flash OFF, Auto WB (grandpa)
    [​IMG]

13. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    I'm glad I went the 2nd body route. While all that was going on I was also snapping off pics with the D40 and 18-55II, usually with the SB-400 bounced. I love that little flash so much that I need to get another one. Might sell my SB-600 since the SB-400 seems to do a pretty good job of bouncing even on its side.

14. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

nothing like sellers remorse .....geez!
    ..ya, the 2 camera thing is trick. it makes things much easier ......nice shots pal....;-)))

15. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    Still don't care for the colors. Thing is the whole scene is orangish red and doesn't look natural at all. So are you saying these were in jpg and you couldn't fix them cause I can help you out there (your statement about warming it up).

Here are two I played with right quick

952312703_b515dfe774.

View attachment 108280

16. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Just hoping to shoot it as well as you could shoot it. Loved the pics of your family. :smile:

On the first batch I intentionally altered the WB to give a warmer look since I hate the cold look from overcast light. I'll have to check on a shot-by-shot basis on the 2nd batch, but it was warmish/red indoor lighting and I left it as-is. On the pictures w/o flash I very well might have left it in Auto, and then I set shade or cloud on the flash shots to neutralize the coldness of the flash lighting. The 2nd group of pictures all look very much like the scene did originally. The tummy time picture that you adjusted isn't close to what the original scene looked like. :-/

Edit: I do like warmer looks though, perhaps more than others here. And the scene at my folks place was very very warm with incandescent lights and sort of yellow/orangish lamp shades which probably made it even warmer looking.

17. Montec

Montec

Jul 26, 2007
    British Columbia
    I also like the warmer tones myself, just personal preference I suppose.
    These are all very nice.

Keep the SB600! Someday you will want it when using off camera wireless with Nikon's Creative Lighting System. It works awesome.

I have the SB600 and a SB800 and when used off camera wirelessly with the D80 they work wonders!

18. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Thanks Montec, both for the kind words, and also for reminding me of why I need to hold on to the SB600, lol. :biggrin: I might try to pick up another SB400 used. I kept on swapping it between the D40 and D80 and didn't bother to get the 600 out. Actually, that was more because the batteries in it are pretty much shot and I haven't bothered to change them yet, so the 400 was recycling a lot faster. lol. :rolleyes:

19. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i often battle with what i actually "see" and the "look" i want/prefer after the fact....;-))
    example, when shooting up at the Hospital clinic they have these terrible flo lights that to the naked eye tend to make everyone look kinda yellowish green. to make matters even worse the rooms have all been painted ina soft yellow...so, after an accurate pre-set w/b i get skin tones that i saw, YELLOWISH/GREENISH. personally i like Jame's rendering of these photos, maybe justa touch warmer would be better. but then again, u might like/prefer these just the way they are...either way, they're lovely images....;-))

20. Montec

Montec

Jul 26, 2007
    British Columbia
    I notice a huge difference in recycling with the 600 when I have it turned down - 2/3 or more. And that is the way I use them mostly. On full power they take a bit of time to fully charge and eat your batteries.

I am looking on eBay right now for a good used 85 1.8....I have the 50mm 1.8 and it is my favourite lens although I also have the 70-200 2.8 VR!