1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First shots with the Bee...

Discussion in 'People' started by Jetta32696, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Hey everyone,

I got my first AB800 last week, and while waiting for my octabox to arrive over the weekend, I took a few test shots "messing around" with my favorite model and her family. While these shots are not the greatest by any means, here are a few that I liked. I think they were shot between f/8 and 1/250th. Shot with the D2hs and the Beast. It looks to me like we were too close to the background, but it's only 5x7...

Setup was the Bee bounced into an "40 something" inch umbrella placed directly in front of the subjects. Camera position was the same shooting from just under the umbrella. As usual, I forgot something - my reflector!!!! :mad: 

Anyway, on to the pics...

For the first two we have my lovely model, Nafeesah:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next two are just a few of Nafeesah and I being "us":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any suggestions on how to improve the shots, what could be done differently??

2. You're off to a good start! Concentrate on "seeing" the light and anticipating how your camera sees it. Lighting is pretty typical for bounce umbrella. Try the Octobox and compare... your highlights won't be so harsh. Keep your light source close to the subject. Use a reflector for fill.

Great start... better than my first attempts.

3. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    A good start indeed. I can see great images to come in the near future. I'll look forward to them, Keith.

4. AISBLE

AISBLE

Nov 29, 2006
    RI
    Your off to a very nice start Keith. You have a lovely model to work with. A Bee setup is next on my list and these shots are making the credit card itchy!:rolleyes:  The last one is my favorite.

5. Thanks alot Woody, I appreciate the comments. I really need to get a better understanding of how the light actually works. I didn't like the umbrella, and I can't wait to get to use the octabox. I think the light was 2-4 feet away from the subject...is that too close? What about the distance from the background? We were only 2-3 feet away from the background.

Is it safe to assume that with reflector placement, I could move the light to one side, on an angle so the light would hit the reflector?

Thanks Banhup. I'm looking forward to using the Bee some more. I need to get a bigger background and find a space to use it all!!

Thank you Tony. I'm still really new to studio lighting as this was only my second time using it, but I can see me really enjoying it once I get the hang of it. Just buy the Bee!! You won't regret it - I know I don't!! The last shot is my favorite as well. That how we usually look when we're not fighting... :biggrin:

6. JD Photography

JD Photography

Aug 4, 2006
    Boston
    I don't know the slightest about lighting, but I like these images. The watch in #3 is a little distracting and I can see Woody's point regarding blown-out highlights when using an umbrella. I can't wait to see your work once your octabox arrives!

It will probably be years (once I pay off this loan for my camera) before I can invest in studio lighting. It's all very fascinating learning about lighting from all of you here. You all are extremely knowledgeable and talented and I'm so glad I found this forum.

Great work Keith!

7. azhiker

azhiker

Mar 13, 2007
    Phoenix Arizona
    More cuddling leads to less fighting.
    Love the shots.

8. Thanks JD. I agree about the watch, and I noticed that when I edited the photo, but I sometimes have the same issues with eyeglasses. I picked up my octabox on Monday, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Hopefully this weekend I'll have an opportunity to experiment a little.

I've still got tons to learn as far as lighting goes, but that's what makes the experimentation fun. I'm really looking forward to doing more with the Bee.

I agree Thom. Thanks alot! I'm a softee when it comes to cuddling, I love it but we aren't able to spend as much time together as we would like. :frown:

9. I like these Keith.......... it's interesting watching your development as a photographer and how much you have progressed........... but.................

Now you've gone and done it with studio lights!!!!!!

I expect nothing but the best from you now on!!!!!!!!!

Oh, totally jealous about you getting some lighting! :redface: :redface: :redface:

G

10. Thanks alot Graeme!! NikonCafe is primarily responsible for my growth. The wealth of knowledge available here is incredible!! Now if only I could steal some of your creativity, I'd be golden!!! I think that's my biggest problem, I'm pretty straightforward, and don't really step outside of the box too often. Things are about to change though!!

I hope I can live up to your expectations of greatness, Graeme!!! I've just been spending a bunch of money that I don't really have...LOL No need to be jealous!! I get a bad taste in my mouth each time my mastercard bill comes... :biggrin:

11. Good start Keith.

I always seem to forget something when I shoot also. Maybe a shooting 'checklist' is in order.

12. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Great start Keith. Excellent job...I know that you are probably pretty excited to have another new toy to play with for a while.

13. I was thinking the same thing Roy!! It was kind of last minute, and I was so happy to be able to take a few shots, that I wasn't thinking straight... :biggrin: Thanks alot!

Thanks Joshua. I'm definitely excited, it's just another tool I have to learn how to use...

14. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Hey nice looking couple....are they friends of yours? :biggrin:

Nice work Keith. The last shot is very sweet. I get much better results with the my octaboxes - every once and awhile I'll break out my umbrellas, but I usually put them away pretty quickly.

15. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Keith this is definitely a good start. You are going to have a blast with your light rig and I'm sure we will all enjoy seeing your work progress as you get more comfortable with them. You'll really dig the soft lighting when you get the Octabox.

The last shot would be great in crappy lighting. You're a lucky man, but I have a feeling she's just as lucky.

Looking forward to seeing more from this *next phase* of your photography!

16. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    All i have to say is WOW, great job! way to go with the new bees.

17. :biggrin: I know the happy couple very well!! Thanks alot Fred! I'm trying to get to the level you're at with the Bees and go above and beyond. I know it's not going to happen overnight, but in time I think I can do it. I wanna take the octabox out now and start firing away, but I don't have anyone to shoot... :frown:

Thanks Stuart!!! I need somewhere to shoot whenever I want to...and unfortunately I don't have that option right now. I've enjoyed the one shoot I've had with the Bees and look forward to many, many more!!

I'm definitely the lucky one here, but she's not doing too bad... LOL

I appreciate that Robert. Thanks alot! I'm looking forward to learning how to get the most out of the Bees.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.