First shots with the D200 please C&C

Discussion in 'People' started by DarkGT, Jun 2, 2007.

1. DarkGT

DarkGT

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Hi all, these are the first more serious shots with the new D200. I used the on camera flash to trigger a slave on a stand with a shoot through umbrella off to the subject's left side. First one is my lovely wife and the second is one of my best friends. As always comments and critique are appreciated!

Image 1
    526805654_7a136bd9ea_o.

Image 2
    526805798_4809493453.

2. I think the 1st one is great but I think the WB on the second is just a tiny bit too warm. That is just my humble opinion.

Enjoy the D200, it is a fantastic piece of technology.

3. Very nice and you even got a little modeling going on with your flashes. Your wife is lovely and your camera did a fine job of showing that.

4. DarkGT

DarkGT

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Thank you for the comments! Any other suggestions for improvement with regards to composition or posing the subjects?

5. DarkGT

DarkGT

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Shameless self bump! :)

6. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Your wife is drop-dead gorgeous! Your friend is……..well, he looks very happy!

7. I'm impressed. You've got a whole lot going on, with a new, pretty complicated camera. But you figured out how to use it and added the extra dimension of wirelessly controlling your flash. Good work!

I'd let it end there, but since you asked for a critique, here's a couple of suggestionss.

In image #1, I'd drop the level of fill to increase the modeling. You could hold the aperture/iso settings, but change the shutter speed from 1/60 to1/125 while using the same level of flash power. I can't analyze #2, since the exif data is stripped, but the main seems a little too hot in that shot.

In both of your pictures, the subject is looking directly as the camera. Experiment with having their heads turned slightly away.

8. DarkGT

DarkGT

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    lol thats not nice. He is one of those friends that would probably take a bullet for you if the need ever arose. I should have posed him better, I had literally just set things up and he came over so i told him to sit. Wifey shots were more set up and I knew what was going on with the equipment more. Still practicing!

9. DarkGT

DarkGT

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Thank you very much! I understand about the aperture/ISO settings and the exposure, but when you say head turned slightly away, are you talking about just turning the head but maintaining eye contact or having them look away also?

10. DarkGT

DarkGT

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Like this? This was another from the quick session, FWIW I am ALWAYS open to critique. I enjoy getting input even if non-technical and completely subjective personal opinion about anything regarding any aspect of any of my shots I post. Thats why I post em here :) :

529308344_205279d1ed.

11. The subject can be looking at the camera, or not. I'm just suggesting the head be turned so the shot isn't so symmetrical. Here's an example that illustrates the approach, and also has a bigger drop-off between the main and fill lighting..

12. DarkGT

DarkGT

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Ahhh gotcha. Okay I will try that the next time I can get wifey to let me take pictures... Thanks!