First shots with the Elinchrom 600RX

Discussion in 'People' started by Joe Marques, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Here are a few shots with the Elinchrom 600RX & Chimera Super Pro Shallow Plus Medium Softbox (36"x 48"). WB set with Expodisc. 40"x 60" white foamcore for fill.

These are tweaked minimally (slight exposure tweak due to my moving the light without re-metering - dummy :D) - with NO changes to WB at all. I must say that I'm very pleased with the consistent exposure and color temp of the Elinchrom (AlienBees were good but hardly this consistent and never this color out of the box). The addage remains true - you get what you pay for. :)

D2H - 85 1.4D - ISO 200.

1/250 f8:
    original.

1/250 f7.1:
    View attachment 6280

1/250 f6.3:
    View attachment 6281

Comments always welcome. Thanks for looking.

Joe

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very good Joe. I take it that you are very pleased (if you aren't then you are really hard to please....;-)).

There is no doubt that quality costs, but in this case, I'd say that it was well worth the $$$$. 8)

Nice shots.

Frank

3. Nice shots Joe. She's a cutie! :D :D :D

4. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    I agree

Joe,

There's a very noticeable difference between these shots and your earlier studio shots. The color and overall lighting is so much richer and more consistent.

Congratulations on a good purchase.

Tom

5. Excellent Joe, I was pretty sure you would like the Elinchrom's as I have heard nothing but good reports about them. You daughter is darling and you always manage to photograph her so well.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Re: I agree

I have to agree. As good as your shots were before, these are clearly superior. For those that are interested, could you give us a ballpark cost (if it wouldn't be prying)?

Thanks,

Frank

7. Thanks very much Bryan. :)

Joe

8. Thanks very much Gordon. BTW, I've been meaning to comment on your recent posts (aspiring model and Utah choir) - excellent work, congrats.

Joe

9. Nice shots Joe, I dont know richard about portraiture, but you certainly seem to know it.

Helps to have a supermodel as well. :D

10. Re: I agree

You know Tom, my initial reaction to this first session was "wow, what a difference". I hesitated to show my true enthusiasm in my first post because I wasn't sure if I was just biased by the "new" gear effect. :) Thanks for confirming my initial reaction.

The strange thing about light is that the impact on the image is basically impossible to measure. It's simply an instinct that tells you something is different and it just looks right. After the FIRST shot I just KNEW something was different.

I can't wait until I get to know the Elinchrom as well as I know my AB400.

Thanks again.

Joe

11. Re: I agree

Hey Frank, thanks for the kind words. :)

There's no prying, we're friends here. :D The Elinchrom 600RX is $885. The Chimera Softbox is $275 (plus $50 for the speedring).

Keep in mind that this is high end gear and for anyone making their first foray into strobes stick with AlienBees until you're SURE you love it. I cut my teeth on AlienBees and moved up to Elinchrom to ensure that I can deliver the quality results I represent in the paid work that I have lined up this year.

On a personal note, this strobe is symbolic for me. It will be the first strobe in my own portrait studio which I WILL open in the next 12 months. While I have MUCH to learn, I love this stuff and will work my A$$ off to improve and get there.

There's a certain risk in making one's goals public and I'm glad I did since accountability is a big key to success and now I'm accountable to everyone in this thread (and possibly in this forum - oh no!). :roll: :shock: 8)

Regards,

Joe

12. Thanks Harris. It certainly doesn't hurt to have a willing model who's very easy on the eyes (biased Dad of course). :D

Joe

13. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I've no doubt whatsoever that you'll easily achieve those goals Joe.

Nice shots and I'm glad you've immediately found the new lighting a benefit.

Neil

14. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Joe;
    You are doing just great.

Are you shooting tethered ?

Some time put your sb800 on the D2H aim straight up and set on RPT.
    Now you can move around with the camera.
    Look ma no wires.

Birger

15. Thank you Birger. Your recommendation certainly contributed to my upgrade. :)

As for wires, thanks for the tip but I'm using a pocket wizards set. I get so focused on the shot I'd trip myself without it. :)

Regards,

Joe

16. Thanks so much for the kind words Neil, it's much appreciated. :)

Joe