First Smudge/Paint

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by rustyfingers, Aug 3, 2007.

1. This is a combination of smudging and painting. My biggest problem is with the hair. It always comes out looking like wax in stead of painted hair. I've download some more hair brushes to try but haven't had a chance to mess with them yet. I'm also having mouth problems but I thinks that's fixed with more practice

Any comments or suggestions are totally welcome.

[​IMG]

Another version: (unframed, notexture)

[​IMG]

2. Dennis, good start.
    Have you viewed Lisa's video?
    There are lots of good tips there, especially about blending edges and creating transitions.

You've gone a little too far is some areas, especially around the left side of her face, her collar and hair. Often a much smaller brush is needed for these areas.

Are you using a blank layer to do the smudge? Be sure to check all layers when you do.

If you do it's much easier to erase areas and retry what you are doing on a blank layer.

Warmest regards,

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

3. Thanks Virginia. No I'm not using layers, I'm just smudging/painting over the background. I watched the video but probably need to go through it again and pay more attention.

Thanks again, it's a great help.
    Dennis