First snow

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Frits, Nov 19, 2005.

1. This week we had our first snow. Not much more then a dusting for now, but a LOT more to come. Usually the snow stays with us until well into April.

Fooled around some in PS CS...

2. Lovely, Frits! This would make a great holiday card!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

3. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Frits

This is beautiful.

Please may I ask how you achieved such a delicate look with the shot, was it all down to processing because it is so calm and serene.

Beautiful.

Best wishes

Ray

4. Lovely, Frits. I was not pleased to see snow here either. My kayak is still out there, hanging on the fence, waiting for one more paddle - think I'm outta luck. I love the treatment you've done on this - very back-country, serene, dominated by that great shaped maple. I really like this - sepia looking but not.

5. Very nice! This is one of the cases where a washed-out sky contributes positively to an image.

Cheers

6. Thank you for your comments, Ray.
    First, I ensured spot-on exposure in a bit of a difficult light situation (I used my incident light meter to measure the available light). Also, the weather was perfect for this effect: somber day with still a bit of snow falling - nice & hazy!
    Then I made some minor curves adjustments in NC. Also in NC I kicked up the colors a touch and sharpened the (RAW) image.
    After saving as a TIFF, I applied a custom action in PS CS. The action is: "Dave's midnight sepia". After applying the action, I adjusted the opacity to my liking. The action leaves a bit too dark shadows to my liking, so I adjusted the shadows a bit with "shadows - highlights" in PS. That's it!

7. Thank you Harry. That was very much the intent! I am glad you observed and agree with it.

8. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thank you Frits

Many thanks for the workflow - really appreciated.

If it helps at all Frits, there is anewer version of midnight sepia; it is version 2.

It has a doge and burn facility in it because like you, I found the effect too dark sometimes.

This new one is super.

Same download etc.

Many thanks again -= and just once more: beautiful image.

Best wishes

Ray

9. Hi Frits,

Nice image and lovely post processing. At least you know how it is to have snow and then rain then again snow and then rain again. Then you know what stuff keeps behind and no picture looks pretty with that. (You remember Dutch weather). So i envy you for having snow until April.

Thanks for sharing a nice picture again.

10. I agree with all the positive comments made so far, Frits. You have done an excellent job in "making lemonade out of lemons". Winter sucks !!! You have made it beautiful.

Paul:biggrin:

11. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Beautiful,liked PS play.

12. Fritz:

Very nice image.

Gil

13. Thank you Vince!
    I sure remember the somewhat drab Dutch winters. But with the winters we have here, I wouldn't mind one like that for a change :biggrin: :biggrin:

Groet,

14. Fine work from the field to the frame. You have spotted a very nice setting to begin with, and composed a beautiful image. I agree, in the overall tonalities the washed out sky fits very well ; I would probably have attempted to darken it (using a grad neutral for example, or in post-processing) but that would have come out with a different mood, maybe one more ominous. I really like the serene result you offered us.

15. Just beautiful :smile:

16. Merci Christian!
    Although intended this way, I am intrigued also. I will surely play around some to see how it looks with a darker sky.

It is a nice setting (one minute on foot from my house).
    FWIW, this is how it looked one early morning in spring.

17. Great shot, I find that taking picture with snow and ice on a sunny day is quite difficult too much contrast even with contrast(-) maybe it would be better if i switched to raw instead of jpeg.

18. Merci Gilles!
    One thing is for sure: If you want to get the most out of your Nikon, RAW is a MUST! Postprocessing of RAW files has a learning curve, like everything else, but is worth it big time.
    Feel free to drop by for a cup / glass of your favourite beverage :biggrin: :biggrin: if you would want to go over it some.

19. And a totally different light. The elongated horizontal frame here adds to the quiet inspiration it brings.

20. I stand along that statement to which I would add the importance to expose for the highlights, and then regain some of the shadows through Shadow/Highlight... in PS, or through D-Lighting in Nikon Capture, which I prefer.