First Softball pics of the season

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Jeff Mims, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Our fastpitch season began tonight. Very tight game, but we won..1-0

The first shot is of the opposing pitcher.

The catcher is my daughter who was catching for the pitcher in the third shot.

View attachment 109355

View attachment 109356

2. Jeff,

Love'em. How many months ago were you asking 'how do I' and now you're showing 'how to'....

Well done.

3. Glas

Glas

Jun 17, 2007
    S.E.Asia
    Great pics Jeff, what was the shutter speed in the 1st pic?

4. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Thanks...exposure was 1/1000th at F/4.

5. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Thank you for the kind words.
    I'm not sure I agree with the part of "showing 'how to'...." :smile:
    I've got many more questions, and much longer to go to reach the talent level I see displayed here.

6. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Very nice work. As you begin to get this close, exposing for shadows inside the helmet helps. Two things I would try with that second shot:

1. If you have a "shadow / highlight tool" in your software package, bring the shadow up so i can see the catchers face a bit better.

2. If you continue to shoot that close consider bumping your EV compensation on the camera up by 1/3 or 2/3....

Getting close like this is harder than it looks and you did a great job.

Do I dare ask what camera / lens combination?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2007
  7. No, please don't!!! :wink::tongue:

8. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Randy,
    Thanks. This is a prime example of this such a great forum. The better photographers advise and help the rest of us But it comes across as genuine, and without a conceited tone. That's not everywhere, I can assure you of that.
    Anyway, I will certainly take your advice and apply it.
    Meant sincerely, no sarcasm intended or implied. I really do appreciate all the help and advice I get here.

Oh..Mark IIn and 300 f/2.8.

9. Jeff,
    You can also accomplish this by using PS CS2 (or 3) and using the Levels tool to adjust the midtone pointer to make these areas brighter or darker, while leaving the black and white points alone. I find that sometimes auto levels just doesn't do enough.

10. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Steve,
    thanks for the advice. I'm using aperture right now for PP...although I'm learning a little about PS. I know aperture better..and I don't know much about it.:smile:
    Not making excuses, I am learning..it will just take some time for me.

Thanks

11. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI

I believe...and I may be wrong...but the Shadow tool acts differently than the levels tool and why it was incorporated.

12. Yeah you're right Randy, which is why I use the levels much of the time because of that difference. I was hoping to point this out so that others would try that tool in case it would make a difference.

13. Nice shots Jeff. Also, loved a couple of shots on your pbase site... the girl running with the big grin as she looks to the crowd and the girl long jumping with the dirt flying up. Good stuff.

14. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Thanks for the comments about my gallery. Did you mean this photo?

That's a friend of my daughter's. My daughter throws the discus. So she was watching her friend, who trudging along...concentrating, frowning..sweating..hot..you know..running. She passes my daughter and friends, they yell out.."Go Angel (nickname)...and she stops to acknowledge her "fans". :smile: I loved it.
    The thing is, this girl is just really that sweet. She wasn't trying to show off..or anything. She won the event, btw. (2 mile race).