First solo photoshoot - c/c appreciated

Discussion in 'People' started by spyder57, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Bunic

Bunic

Jun 27, 2006
    South Central PA
    Spyder,

These are nicely done. Great composition. A coulpe of the last ones need to have their levels adjusted lighter. Normally, I would say the same thing about #4. But its darkness really adds mystery to the shot along with the wide composition. I like!

Mike

2. B&W gets my vote, but ,they're all very good under tough harsh light.

3. like the B&W pic the best

4. How could you miss with such a lovely model?

Despite the dappled highlights, #3 is my favorite because of the pose, expression, and background.

765355880_41ec6e13df_o.

Next time, be aware of the sun peeking from between the trees, and try to position your model to minimize bright splotches. And since you have a 50/1.4 in your kit, you might try taking the shot with a wider aperture, so the background is less in focus.

In shots like this, the bright background has tricked your metering system into underexposing the model's face.

View attachment 104993

A touch of fill flash, even from the built-in-flash, would do wonders in situations like that.

But you get high grades for your first solo flight!

5. spyder57

spyder57

May 26, 2006
    Thanks for all the comments guys.

Uncle Frank - I tried opening it up more, but it would have blown the highlights even more - it was very bright outside. And yeah, I realized afterwards that I should have pulled out the sb600 sooner.... Oh well, live and learn right?

6. You're being too tough on yourself. This was your first solo... a learning experience... and you came out with some excellent captures..

7. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    you did very well on these

8. spyder57

spyder57

May 26, 2006
    Thanks Frank, much appreciated =)

9. Very nice work for your first time out!!! Cute girl. My only suggestion is to watch out for people in the background. Sometimes you can't help it, and sometimes that's what you're going for. It's hard to tell whether or not it's intentional in these shots as some have people and others do not...

I look forward to more posts from you in the future. Know that the SB600 is your friend, and when shooting outdoors, be sure to have the camera on Matrix metering (not spot)...it makes a world of difference.

10. Good work Andrew. I like tha B&W the best.

11. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    I agree with Frank on this. You did a very nice job for your first shoot. You follow all the great suggestions in this thread, and I'll bet your next shoot will ROCK!

12. spyder57

spyder57

May 26, 2006
    Thanks for all the comments guys!

I'll definitely take them into consideration.

About the people in the background - I couldn't help it. We were at a busy beach so there wasn't much I could do. I'll try to shoot at a less crowded location next time ;)

13. 765355942_0bafc4812d_o.

lol no one else noticed this one!?

the photos are good overall just watch your lighting and backgrounds.. perhaps a 1.4 lens will work well for you.

14. How to improve comments have already been made so I will just say that I appreciated the lovely model.

15. Good job! That's some hard light to work in, I would have chickened out Andrew! I would have been saying, "Meet me here at 5:30 am!"