First sport photo's.

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Andyc, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    I went along to a local league football match yesterday evening for my first attempt trying to taking a few action shots with my D50 on sport setting and a Nikkor 18-135 lens.
    I am not totally happy with the results and I would appreciate any critique to point me in the right direction. Is the lens ok for this type of photography? Can photoshop improve the images? I have cropped them.

ISO 640. 1/500 f5.6

ISO 400. 1/500 f5.6

View attachment 91638

Thanks in anticipation of any input.
    Best regards
  2. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Good action captures...good colours! Nice!
    I can't help you much in regards to Photoshop, though there are some here who can.
    The only thing I would suggest, is try to position yourself, so there would be less in the background
  3. Andy, these are great action captures!

My suggestions for you are to always watch your background for these shots. While the action is great on the first one, the background is very distracting and really detracts from the overall image. You may also want to consider cropping these more tightly. I had to be told this multiple times when I started taking sports photos. It really does make a big difference.

In terms of your lens, it probably does not afford you enough reach on a full sized field. It also is slow, hence your aperture of f5.6. You may want to consider a longer, faster lens if you are going to get serious about sports photography. The wider aperture will really help improve your focus speed and will also blur the distracting background when it cannot be avoided.
  4. eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Andy, I echo what Mitch has offered. Re-adjusting your aperture to wide open would help to blur the background by decreasing the depth of field. Most pro sports shooters would say that backgrounds are distracting in most cases, so blurring them out adds to the interest of the play at hand. Keep up the great work and find your own shooting style.
  5. Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    Great anticipation on the header - without the ball the shot would be pointless. Nice job.
  6. Hey Andy,

Nice header! Great job! Keep on posting!
  7. Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Thanks guys for your great advice. I will try out your very helpful suggestions at the next match except for the faster lens which will have to wait for a while.

Here is a tighter crop. I can see how the photo would improve with the the distracting background blurred by using a wider f setting.

Thanks again
  8. bett

Mar 31, 2007
    New Hampshire

I certainly hope I'm not out of line doing this, but, I worked on your photo
    a tad. I do this sometimes to blur a background in photoshop.
    It's pretty simple:

I opened the image, and duplicated the layer.
    Went to filters/blur/lensblur. added some lens blur. then used the history brush
    to "paint" away the blur from the players, the ball, and a little from the ground.
    Then used the burn tool on the "hot spots" in the background, just to take the edge off.

I'm pretty new here and I hope somebody will tell me if I stepped out of bounds by doing this.

Regards, Roger

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2007
  9. Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Thanks Roger I have no problem with you working on the photo. Your advice is great and I will try your instructions on a few others.

I am very much obliged.
    Best regards