First studio shoot

Discussion in 'People' started by ShaunK, Apr 26, 2007.

1. So, I recently got a job for a portrait photographer, and as part of my learning curve, he wants me to bring in my own customers to "practice" on. These two are my younger brother and our cousin, both were in need of senior portraits anyway. How did I do?
    Shooting info: D70s, 18-70 lens, ISO200, f/11, 1/250th.

474024210_a35e709589_o.

474024208_44d87d56ef_o.

474024222_85d1371f77_o.

474024214_93af88f953_o.

474024220_e42aaf4788_o.

Thanks for looking and helping me learn!

2. Look great -- might want to use a little less DoF to separate the subjects from their backgrounds.

3. Davo

Davo

May 3, 2005
    Las Vegas
    *is blinded by the muslins*

sorry..personal thing, lol :p

are they retouched? the skin looks a bit plastic, and a bit orange.

for senior portraits, they're a success. i used to do retouch for a portrait studio, so i've seen TONS of 'em. if i were to nitpick i'd say the compositions might stand being a little tighter since it is a portrait. on the full length girl, i'd give her feet a little more room down there, and maybe not worry about getting the whole bench in, and less headroom (though printed to 8x10 that may not be an issue). perhaps have her bottom leg more extended on the shot with the white muslin, i find it best to see more of limbs than less.

but yeah...enough nitpicking. they're good shots. with great expressions, which is rarely the case for senior portraits. so well done with that. i like the poses themselves...just a matter of a few tweaks and how to frame it all.

4. bob swanson

bob swanson Guest

:wink: My biggest "nit" would be the DOF. Either have less or move them further away as we can see the texture of the muslins. Personally I'd say that they don't have enough light in their faces. Maybe 1/4 stop more or so.
    Good job though. bsvirginian

5. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    They look good. It looks like you need to add a reflector off to the left of the subjects to soften the shadows and bring out the faces a little more.

Larry

6. Scotty_R

Scotty_R

Jan 1, 2006
    Virginia
    Shaun,

For your first attempts I think you've done a great job. The expressions are good, the posing is nice and natural and your subjects engage the viewer well.

Technically, I think there needs to be more separation between the subjects and their backgrounds which can be accomplished by moving them farther away from the background, diminishing the light on the background and then using a very soft hair light to accentuate the separation. The main light seems to be a bit hot to me and looks as if it's lighting the entire scene rather than just the subjects. Bring the power down and move the main light a bit closer to the subject, then use a second light to provide fill as necessary. If you're using silver umbrellas and can't control the intensity of the light enough, then think about using white umbrellas in the "normal" fashion, or turn the light around and shoot through the umbrella or use a softbox/octabox. All of these methods will soften the light on the subject's face, giving it a softer, more appealing appearance--less of that harsh, "plastic" look, more wrap around which will give the face depth and dimension.

Again, a very good start. Experiment more with a variety of lighting styles and you're well on your way.

7. Thanks... Yeah, the skin, retouching is my problem... I have much more to learn in that regards. I was framing most of the pictures keeping in mind that most customers order 5x7/8x10 and leaving room to crop. Thanks for commenting.

Thanks, Bob. I hadn't thought of the DOF thing, I guess just because it was shot in studio=limited room, but less light on the BG would have maybe done it. i cold have shot at f/8, but wanted to make sure to get the subjects fully in focus.

Thanks, Larry. I did have a reflector, maybe I just didn't have it close enough.

Yeah, I was having trouble with the main light, I should have moved it further away. I was shooting with two soft boxes on camera left, on main, one fill, and a reflector on camera right, white, not silver. I think the "plastic" look was my fault in PP... gotta get better! :smile:

Thanks all for looking!

8. I'd definitely change the backgrounds to neutral colors. IMO. YMMV.

9. Very nice job! Enjoyed them.

10. Funny that people are saying that. The photographer whose studio I'm working at and using has more compliments on these backgrounds than any of the others. That's partly why I used them :smile:.

Thanks, Melissa.

11. These tutorials may help.

[tutiki]Beautiful_Skin_by_Czechman[/tutiki]

[tutiki]Basic_Photo_Adjustments[/tutiki]

12. Ya' know, Woody, I knew those were there, I just forgot about them! :redface: Fortunatley, these are not the finals going to them, they still have to get back to me on which poses they want, so, practice makes perfect, right? Thanks for the reminders to those great tutorials!