First test with the 800mm

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Phil K, Jun 16, 2007.

1. After non-stop raining for about 2 weeks, we finally had some sunshine today, so I rushed out to test my recently acquired Nikkor 800mm F/5.6 ED AIS. I knew I would have a tough time handling such a long lens with manual focus and was prepared for a steep learning curve. These guys, sensing me coming with a long lens, stayed away and were well over 100 ft from me.

Nothing spectacular, nothing to be proud of, but I'm glad I could play with this lens today. Still a long way to go.

[​IMG]

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

2. Very nice Phil!! I'm SO happy for you that the weather finally decided to co-operate! :smile:

I like the first one, the guy with the really long neck. :biggrin:

3. Very nice work, Phil. I particularly like #'s 3 and 4.

4. Woo hoo! Nice shots Phil. I'm very hapy for you. There are only so many pictures your kids will let you take. :redface:

Rich

5. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Congrats on this new lens, Phil!! When you have the chance, I'd like to see an image of you shooting with it! I've never seen the 800mm in action.

I like #1 for the long neck, #4 for the goofy looking feather at an angle, and #6 for "stepping out". Focus is dead on on all of them. Nice!

6. Wow, Phil, you did pretty well for your first time out with this bazooka!! Like John, I'd love to see a photo of you actually using the thing! :smile: Get your brother to take a couple of shots of you next time you're shooting together and you're using that lens....

7. I would take up weightlifting if I were you.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Bob F.

8. Man nothing better than a new lens. Those are great shots for try #1. Man 12 pounds I'd need help mounting it on the tripod.

9. Wow, pretty pictures. You'll have a lot of fun with this "bazooka".........

10. Phil,

you did well. Congrats on the lens. I'm dreaming of the 500mm AF one day but I'd settle for the MF.

Hope you see more good weather so you get to shoot some more.

Lil

11. WOW! 800mm! I bet that's one loooonnnngggg lens! Nice job!

12. Wow, these look good! I figured I'm OK with my 400, but this is nice!!

13. Hey Phil congrats on the new 800. I have had 2 of them and I just posted a bunch from it that I was playing on my deck yesterday. CAlled it a Backyardwhackocrap. Did you get the stright 8 or the zoom? You will like it and you will hate it (at times) when you want to move. A ggod head and tripod are needed for this glass and i hope you have better luck with the TE than I do. BTW I just happened to have a pair of Sigma TE's for Nikon mount that I never use anymore and in very good condition with all the stuff that comes new. Good Luck
    Lou

14. gadgetguy, Here is the first one I owned , I had it on a D2H and a heavy wooden surveyors tripod and wimberly head. IN case Phil don't send you one
    Lou
    558263647_49f8815645_o.

15. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    WOW!!

Lou,

That is a monster. The full Wimberley is a large gimbal. It is dwarfed by the 800!

Thanks for posting it.

16. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Wow Phil 800 !!

Great 1st shots they look real crisp and clear !

17. That is just about Hubble Class Phil.

Nicely Done

18. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
  19. Very nice pics. Were these 'wide open'?

That is a WAY cool looking 'rig'? :biggrin:

Thanks
    JohnG

20. DNAsiRNA

DNAsiRNA

Nov 27, 2006
    Dallas, USA
    Nice work. A little CA is visible in the picture.