1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First thoughts on portable flash kit.

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by simonramsden, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Hi all.

I'm thinking of making in-roads into off camera flash (strobist !). I've read a great deal of the advice for the you've all given and tried to put together a shopping list. Here's what I currently have to work with.
    2 x SB-600 speedlights
    2 x SB-R200 speedlights
    1 x Manfrotto Superclamp with small ballhead
    1 x SC-28 sync cable

Not much - but at least I have 2+2 speedlights. What I want to end up with is:
    2 x umbrella mounted flashes
    2 x remote flashes for fill in/highlights
    remote sync/control of the lot

For umbrella/flash mounting I was thinking...
    2 x Manfrotto 305B Light Stands
    2 x Manfrotto 026 Clamps
    2 x Hama 6959 Insulated Shoes
    2 x Lastolite 4536 Umbrellas (reversible Sunrise/Silver)

I figure this setup would be portable and reasonably stable and give me 2 light sources up high around 2m max. Sunrise is meant to be slightly warmer that silver as it has a slightly gold tint to it.

For control, I was thinking
    1 x SU-800
    1 x AS-10 Sync shoe
    1 x SC-19 sync cord (3m long)

I'm currenly using a D70 (plan to upgrade to D200 or its replacement in a few months time - duty free trip to India coming up), I have TTL remote commander capability, but I think the SU-800 will add a bit more scope with the use of multiple groups and greater range.

As there will be times that the SU-800 won't IR sync with a remote flash due to line of sight restrictions, I was also going to add the AS-10 TTL shoe and SC-19 sync cord to my shopping list. I figure, sit the SU-800 on the SC-28, and mount it all on the superclamp, then run the sync cord to the AS-10 with remote SB-R200 mounted on it.

What do you reckon - is the stand combo good for SB-600's ? Will the SU-800 sync via IR to the SB-600's and via cable to a SB-R200 ?

The eventual aim, is to break into the School child/class portrait arena - obviously I will need to invest in backdrops/stands and probably bigger lights for classes. This set-up is for 1 or 2 pupil portraits - and lots of them :biggrin:

Thanks in advance

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.