first time cruise enquiry

The first time we decided to go on a cruise we went into a travel agents to make enquiries. The nice gentleman asked what we were interested in, I felt a touch of the giggles coming on

I said we were thinking of going on a cruise, so he said "Anywhere in particular"

That really got me to withhold a huge grin with difficulty

I quickly replied with a straight face " we would prefer it to be on the water"

The girl at the back of the office nearly fell of her chair laughing so much, she absolutely creased up.

even he had to admit he had not heard that one before

Sorry but he left himself wide open to my kind of wit

Having gone in five cruises (and two more coming up this year I know a bit).

Being in the UK you might want to visit the Caribbean. Miami and Ft Lauderdale are good starting points for these.
Avoid Carnival. I would recommend Princess or Celebrity brands.

Alaska or Panama canal are awesome cruises. Panama departs from Ft. Lauderdale. Alaska from either Seattle or Vancouver

If you prefer European river cruises I would recommend Viking.

Watch Gary Bembridge's Tips for Travellers channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_qE-Obs2ocdmPXY0TIU-cw

since then a few years ago
Done the Caribbean cruise- a couple of med sea cruises - River Nile- Norwegian ffjords - Baltic states cruise- Japan cruise- already booked a European river cruise doing 4 countries for later this year. So not a complete stranger to cruising.
That in not including holidays in China-Brazil- Tunisia- Brittany (france) -Argentina to name but a few
Our ship the P&O Aurora in Flam Norway

this year the cruise is

https://www.vikingrivercruises.co.u...opean-tour/2020-amsterdam-budapest/index.html

28aQozj.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
We have found that a 10 day cruise is our limit for enjoyment. Dealing with people that pretend to not know what a que is and ignore every rule has it's limit.
Our favorite cruise destinations were Alaska and Norway. But book a Caribbean cruise to try it our. Royal Caribbean is another good company.

Real Name
Carl
You will probably have a grand time..Holland America and Royal Caribbean have my vote. My Brother in Law...was a sailor during World War II, and said he didn't want to get on board a ship ever again, no matter what!

I told him: "In the Navy, the Officers and higher rank Enlisted men were all there to make the low-ranked enlisted man's life MISERABLE, but on a cruise ship, the Officers and crew are there to make sure you will have a good experience!" After one cruise, you'd think he invented cruising!:D

The Caribbean is wonderful. I would suggest staying away from the tourist down town areas. Many of the shops are the same from port to port. The only difference is the name on the t-shirts. I rent a cab to takie me around the island to spots of interest. Better to me than taking an expensive tour offered by the ship.

not over impressed with Royal Caribbean cruise line. Did Baltic countries with them. the chairs on the decks a lot of plastic webbing was broken and a lot of rust on the guard rails ,even the cabin was tatty in places, ordered a table to be changed it was broken. Been with a few cruise lines and so far P&O and Princess lines the ships have been outstanding.

Last edited:
_DSC7489.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

in the Caribbean

P&O Azura left and Britannia right. WE were on tha Azura

Last edited:
I've done a few Caribbean Cruses and I would recommend: 1) 7 days, 2) in port hire one of the taxies to be your driver for the time allowed on shore and ask them to give you a tour of their home island (unless you know where you want to go and then just tell them), 3) I like a balcony cabin and get up early when coming into port ... good photo opportunities at those times, 4) I will not do Carnaval ... it's like a pool party at a cheap apartment complex.

You will have a great time!

Real Name
Maurie Hill
I did a cruise in 1976. The memories of the queues still haunt me. And they tell me the ships are bigger with more people, and more checklists nowadays.

But then again I’m a selfish *******, so I travel totally independently. That way I can stop, back up, meander off the beaten track, get the picture I want. Not the one that everyone else has ... just my pennethworth.

This years trip will bring me up to 90 countries visited. And not a tour bus in sight.

Having gone in five cruises (and two more coming up this year I know a bit).

Being in the UK you might want to visit the Caribbean. Miami and Ft Lauderdale are good starting points for these.
Avoid Carnival. I would recommend Princess or Celebrity brands.

Alaska or Panama canal are awesome cruises. Panama departs from Ft. Lauderdale. Alaska from either Seattle or Vancouver

If you prefer European river cruises I would recommend Viking.

Watch Gary Bembridge's Tips for Travellers channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_qE-Obs2ocdmPXY0TIU-cw
Also, if you are doing Disney, there are Disney Cruises out of Port Canaveral.

Done DIsney world twice and ClearWater. Did the space centre as well while over there. Love to go see the Northern Lights in the near future finances allowing that is.

Wait a minute......OK, Barry, in my opinion this thread subject line is really misleading if in fact you are already an experienced cruise traveler......You might want to change it. There's a huge difference between being an actual prospective first-time cruise traveler who is requesting input, recommendations and suggestions and someone who has already been on several cruises.

Wait a minute......OK, Barry, in my opinion this thread subject line is really misleading if in fact you are already an experienced cruise traveler......You might want to change it. There's a huge difference between being an actual prospective first-time cruise traveler who is requesting input, recommendations and suggestions and someone who has already been on several cruises.
I don't think so. Barry's first post is a humorous anecdote, and then people started offering advice. Barry replied with some of his past experiences. And the advice kept pouring in . . .

I don't see where Barry ever asked for advice.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom