first time cruise enquiry

My wife and I have always said we will save cruise trips for when we are too old for more active travel (We're 76 and 78 now), and that Viking cruise is on our radar. Please tell us about your experience when you get back.

We have done a couple of river cruises in Europe: Holland and Belgium and St. Petersburg to Moscow.

We've also done a couple of National Geographic/Linblad cruises: Galapagos and Antarctica.

The big ship cruises have no interest to us.

Been there; done that.
Well sort of and I am not intending to travel on a long ocean voyage again.

Scene: Cunarder RMS Samaria.
Time: July 1945.
Conditions: The ship had been refitted as a troop transport so First Class cabins contained six bunks and we had to share the room with another mother and her children.

We had regular Life Boat drills and during the first of them one child was heard to say: "Last time I did this, the ship was sunk" which encouraged everybody greatly. ( She was one of the only 13 children who survived the sinking of the "City of Benares".)

The crew did their best: they threw a children's party and we all received grey Weather Balloons; but, apart from that, the voyage from New York to Liverpool was long, boring and the Atlantic skies were mostly grey although we did see porpoises one morning.

I prefer something a lot more exhilarating than being stuck on a ship with 4000 of my un-closest friends: I am considering a trek to the Amazon as my next destination.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom