1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First Time MMA

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by eng34ine, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Hi guys,

I really would like your opinion on the following images. This is my first time shooting MMA and the lighting was a challenge. I have looked at posts by others as well as browsed online to see what UFC and WEC is posting on their site and it appears that the lighting issues are consistent with the event. Any suggestions that you have may make it better next time.

Nikon d300, lens 28-70, 80-200, manual settings 1/250 @2.8, iso 1600 - 3200, WB-manual

web28.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

web29.jpg

web30.jpg

web31.jpg

thanks,

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    For a moment, I thought that you shot these at the firehouse. :redface: These are cool Rolly, plenty of action especially in the second one where the guy on the bottom is tapping out. Submission is a terrible fate. Thanks for sharing.

3. thanks Frank. It looks like I may be working with them regularly. I am trying to work on posters, etc. for them to sell as memorabelia. I also got a chance to meet and party with Shaquille O'Neil, Andre Berto ( WBC Welterweight Champ), Miguel Torres (WEC Bantamweight Champ) who is from your neck of the woods (east chicago, indiana.)

4. A few tips

If you're shooting a ring-based event, don't be afraid to poke the front element of your lens between the ropes (if you're allowed to) - most boxing photographers that I've seen shoot this way and it leads to far cleaner shots.

Since the lighting at these fights tends not to vary, dial in all your settings and stick to them - including ISO and Kelvin WB values. Your lens choices are fine though personally speaking I always shot with a 17-55 as my wide... just in case the action got really close.

If these examples are anything to go by, your composition skills are spot on. I always endeavor to shoot 'top-to-toe' action i.e. getting the whole body of the fighters in the frame.

I know the old adage of "tight is right" when shooting sports but, with MMA, the action can go anywhere at anytime. I prefer a mantra of "shoot loose, crop tight" - since cropping in to around 6MP will still yield great images. Of course, I'd rather get my framing right at the time I press the shutter but that's not always possible.

If you're going to be shooting MMA a lot more in the future, it might be worthwhile looking at a D700 at least... that way you can crank up the ISO wihtout fear of losing image quality and then set a higher shutter speed to better freeze the action, since 1/250 is just too dang slow for some of those strikes.

Hope this helps!

5. Thanks. All great info that I will take with me next time. The ropes are a pain in the -ss but they wouldnt let me get closer. The next event is a cage match and he said they will allow right up to the cage and also have a raised platform to allow shooting over the cage and down on fight.

6. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    I think also to my eye there is a red cast on everything, red tint on the white ringside poles etc, no doubt caused by the red ring, lighting tricking AutoWB. I think i'd be using a preset WB reading and also using a whibal card or the like.

Nice action.

7. ofd678

ofd678

Aug 12, 2007
    Glenwood
    Frank

It looks like a IAFF Local 385 Union meeting!

8. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Nice Job! Hoping
    The "Spider" Carves Up The "Sandman" tonight!
    Keep Up The Good Work Rolly!

9. Soooo any word on when your next fight shoot will be?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.