First time Motorsports

I shot my first Motorsports event a few weeks back, let me know what you think
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mike, somehow i think if you shot grass growing, you'd make it Art! Great set! Love All the Burnt rubber,Smoke & Camaro Popping A wheelie!

WOW!!!

I grew up at the drag races and have seen THOUSANDS of starting line shots and these are right up there with the best of them.

I see so many shots where the photog was unwilling to cut off the nose of the car (namely any dragster) to really get in the cockpit with the driver. You did in #12 and to a greater extent in #4 and those are GREAT GREAT shots!

Next time you go to the drag strip, head down to the finish line and shoot the "Super" classes (Super Gas and Super Comp specifically) as those races will be settled by inches at 150mph (in Super Gas) and nearly 200 mph (in Super Comp). If you can get a good vantage point, you will be able to catch the drivers looking at each other in Super Comp (almost exclusively dragsters, where as Super Gas is a Door car/Roadster-Only class).

EXCELLENT shots, awesome color, composition and timing!!!

Mike, somehow i think if you shot grass growing, you'd make it Art! Great set! Love All the Burnt rubber,Smoke & Camaro Popping A wheelie!
LOL Thanks so much check out the grass shots in the macro forum....lol
Excellent Mike, you're going to give Mark Rebilas a run!

Haven't seen you in a while, how'd the Preakness go? Any pix?
Thanks Chris, I have been swamped at work. I dont think Mark has much to worry about, I was hoping to see him there but he was not there.
As far as the Preakness goes I got back to town from from Atlanta, and on the way to Baltimore was involved in a accident on the way down and was forced to turn around, to say I was bummed was an understatement.
Very nice! NHRA at Englishtown? Nice access.
Yes you are correct, access was great but very limited here in the wonderful state of New Jersey access is dictated by the State police, so we could only go 50 yards past the starting line and no where else on the track.
Very nice Mike. You can almost hear the thunder looking at your pictures.
Thanks, the other photogs kept warning me about the big boys and they were not exaggerating.
#12 does it for me. Wrinkled slicks, heat waves , blurred staff...

Good stuff

Rags
Thanks
Awesome set Mike. I really don't think there is much you can't do with your gear.
If I were in your shoes i would stick with the ball sports . . . Else I think you might get some phone calls from this side of the pond asking you to take some pics at the bike races . . . :wink:
LOL thanks JAson
WOW!!!

I grew up at the drag races and have seen THOUSANDS of starting line shots and these are right up there with the best of them.

I see so many shots where the photog was unwilling to cut off the nose of the car (namely any dragster) to really get in the cockpit with the driver. You did in #12 and to a greater extent in #4 and those are GREAT GREAT shots!

Next time you go to the drag strip, head down to the finish line and shoot the "Super" classes (Super Gas and Super Comp specifically) as those races will be settled by inches at 150mph (in Super Gas) and nearly 200 mph (in Super Comp). If you can get a good vantage point, you will be able to catch the drivers looking at each other in Super Comp (almost exclusively dragsters, where as Super Gas is a Door car/Roadster-Only class).

EXCELLENT shots, awesome color, composition and timing!!!
Thanks so much, I sure wish I could have moved around a bit more but as I said above the New Jersey State police set the access rules and we were limited to 50 yards. I would have loved to go down track and get some different angles.

Oh I totally understand about the starting-line Nazis.

We used to have a Suite at Atlanta Dragway in Commerce, and when we had a car competing, we bought SLA for everybody. They are SUPER strict about where you can and cannot go, but with safety in mind, of course.

If you have a long enough lens (I would imagine you'd need 300mm or more) and can get the pan down, you can shoot the Super Classes from the bottom of the stands and still get some GREAT shots... If the stands go all the way to the finish line. I know they don't at all facilities.

If not, you can take a 3' ladder and stand on it at the finish and shoot over the guard rail and get nice, almost drivers' eye level shots, but they are hard to follow at 150-200+ mph! I would probably shoot them as fast (Shutter speed) as possible with a burst over the last 60' of track or so.

Sorry for getting so long, I get real excited about drag racing!!!!

Best of luck on your future shoots! Hope to see more awesome shots from you soon!

Extremely nice work. You make it look like you have covered drag racing for years!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom