1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First time newbie post and question...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by shannonfrydesigns, Apr 3, 2007.

1. A little about me... I am seriously debating a new camera, I currently shoot with a panasonic p&s (better known as p.o.s.)... I am having an extremely hard time deciding on what camera to buy... as with most die hard photographers, there is only one kind of camera, and my best friend who shoots weddings, is pushing me into a canon, you know the whole 'canons are the best' blah-blah-blah routine... BUT I was looking at the D80, as I have always been attracted to Nikons... and I was also liking the sigma 17-70 lens... does anyone here have that lens, and if so, what are your views on it?

Also, just to throw this in, anyone used to shoot canon and switched? Thoughts?

Thanks! I am digging this site, have been lurking for a while...

2. Have you held the D80 and the canon camera's that are in contention?

This is probably your first test. Hold them in your hand, see what is comfortable, and then adjust the settings and see what is to your liking in terms of ergonomics/ease.

Look through the viewfinder, and determine what camera suits you best in terms of what info you see in there that you find important, and all that sort of fun stuff. Which viewfinder do you prefer...

3. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Have a look at the Tamron 17-50mm, it has a constant f/2.8 aperture and is optically superb.

4. fyrbolt

fyrbolt

Feb 2, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I'm also a newbie to photography. Which Canon are you considering? If it's one of the rebel's then I agree with goofball. I think the D80 is head and shoulders above the rebels. Ergonomics, apperance, feel, weight, etc. If it's the 20D or 30D or ??? Then it's a matter of preference. How it feels in your hand, how accessible the controls are, the viewfinder, etc. To me... I prefer the Nikon and am lusting for a D200 now. My sister has a 30D and totally loves it. She takes really good pictures with it.

Good luck with your purchase. BTW, if you go Nikon, you'll find lots of supports here on camera, lens, accessories, photoshop......... on and on.......

5. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    My first DSLR camera was the D80 which I got in December. I would highly recommend it. I got it with the kit lens 18 - 135mm which I love. I have since then added the 70 - 300VR to my kit. I have held the Canon and I just feel like the Nikon is more solid. But that is just my opinion. I just don't think you could go wrong with the D80.

6. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    I have been using Nikons for over 20 years but I have also used a Canon 1D mk2 for a while. I found Nikons Ergonomics much better. Its just impossible to use the Canon without reading the manual!

I like the teles of Canon (there are more choices), but I think Nikon has better wide angle lenses. In ay case, both can produce excellent photos. You should really take a look at the cameras yoursilf, paky with them for a while to see how you feel. Try to adjust the setings, see how the manu works. You can't take good pictures if the camera does not feel right in your hands.

7. Thanks everyone... I appreciate your feedback.

I do plan to go to OKC saturday morning and look at a couple of cameras... I guess we shall see what I come up with.

8. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Nikon and Canon are for the most part, equal. The best camera for you is the one that you will like to use. As was said, the ergonomics and menus are the determining factor. The best camera for you is the one that you feel comfortable holding and using. Using includes the user interface, ie, the menus. I have always found the Nikon UI to be more suited to my way of thinking. The menus are logical (to me) and the cameras are for the most part comfortable to hold.
    The best thing is to go to a store and try a variety and see which one you are most comfortable holding and operating. There will be a learning curve with any DSLR, but if you seem to take to one brand over another, that is likely the one you will have the most success using.

9. It also very much depends on your main use for the camera. Many of those who shoot wedding do so because the Canons are known to be better at higher ISO's... which can be fixed in PP, just with more time involved. I chose my Nikon for the very reasons the AP (above posters) have mentioned... feel it, test it and the controls. To me, the slightly higher noise was more than offset by the fact that my main controls are all right there, easily accessible, much faster than delving into menus, which is what it seems to me Canons are more about... and I'd rather have a noisy picture than no picture at all due to fumbling around with unwieldy controls. :smile: This is all just my opinion, of course.

10. ffb2t

ffb2t

Jan 16, 2006
    CA
    IMO this article summarizes the current state of affairs quite nicely.

http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/2007/02/canon-40d-needed-at-all.html

Baiscally if you are going to spend 2500+ on a new camera, Canon is probably the right choice. If you are under 2k, then probably one of the Nikons. In the end, unless you are shooting something that has specific requirements, any of them are perfectly capable.

11. Do Nikons tend to be that much more noisier? Thats my problem now, I shoot mostly outdoor portraits, and my p&s tends to have more noise than I am comfortable with. I couldn't help but think that the nikon would be 100%better than what I have now... I haven't seen any noise in in the photo forums...

12. TopGear

TopGear

Mar 16, 2006
    Nikon advantage = Nikon Café!

First off, welcome!

Second, I'd like to point out that for many of us, the Café itself is a serious additional benefit that you might consider before you buy. It's the very supportive group of people here that makes buying a Nikon all that much more attractive: excellent advice, pro-level tips, great deals in the "For Sale" forums, and a friendly attitude throughout.

Good luck with your purchase. Whatever you buy, enjoy it!

Evan

13. TopGear

TopGear

Mar 16, 2006
    My D50 is a low-noise machine, even at high ISOs!

Having made a similar leap myself, I think you'll see a radical difference between your P&S and just about any DSLR in terms of less noise.

14. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I don't think Nikon's are that much noisier. My standards for noise are rooted in film grain from the mid-late 1980s. When I compare the digital noise of my D2x (supposedly noiser than the D200) with film of the that era, I can't honestly see what all the fuss is about. The DSLRs of today have far less noise/grain than film of just a generation ago. I do understand that technology moves forward and we should see noise diminishing, but it all depends on the type of shooting you do. I've seen shots from a D2x at higher ISO that have been run thru a noise reduction program and I think they are quite amazing.
    Personally, I don't like the look of most of Canon's sensors, they have an artificial/plastic look IMHO. I'll trade some grain (noise) for that any day, in fact, I like the look of a little grain, it makes a photograph look like a photograph in my opinion.
    Outdoor portraits or anything with a decent amount of light should not pose you a problem. As an aside, the Nikon i-TTL flash system is the best in the industry, period. Canon can't come close to the success Nikon has had with their flash systems, and the wireless stuff is incredible. I've used Nikons with fill flash for years and had several magazine photo editors ask how I got such even, natural, non-flash-looking lighting. They were used to seeing stuff from guys shooting Canon. Seriously, that is true, but I'll take the credit as it is my brain that is creating the shot, so it's more the photographer than the camera. Even then, for me, Nikon's system makes it easy to get the good shots.

15. I've occasionally had noise problems with my D200. I got Noise Ninja to deal with the problem, and it works beautifully.

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Welcome to the cafe

I have been called Mrs D200 on occasion.

lolol

17. Thanks everyone... I appreciate the welcomes... Hope its ok to be here, even though I'm not a technical nikon owner yet... well unless you count my old nikkor mat that I have, thats older than me and I've never got to use! lol!

I guess I can post back later this weekend on my findings... I wonder if the camera store will let me take pictures with my own card to compare at home?...

18. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    We are family here and it doesn't matter what brand that you shoot. Go buy whatever you believe will serve you best and enjoy the heck out of it. We look forward to you visiting with us whenever your time allows.

19. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    It wasn't too many years ago when I decided to make the jump from film to digital, I had numerous Digital Point & Shoot camera's but had no specific brand in mind since Minolta was slow to get out of the gate and that is what my film camera was.

I basically tried every Nikon & Canon in the sub $2,000 range and read article after article about what was out there and in the end based my decision on how the camera felt in my hand, how easy was the menu system to understand, were the controls placed in a logical manner and last but not least what accessories were available along with the quality of the lens and flash products. For me it ended up being a Nikon D100 (at that time) but picture quality wise you would be happy with either brand. Don't rule out Fuji either (you still get to use Nikon glass) - Jeff :smile:

20. Just wanted to update that I purchased a D100 today with a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens... I really liked the Nikon menus over the canon's. I also got the grip and few extra supplies. I have a week to decide if I'll like it, I posted this on the camera discussion forum... But it's got to be better than my p&s.

Thanks to everyone!
    Shannon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.