First time on Mt. Hood with D2x

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by fjp, Jun 20, 2005.

1. fjp

fjp

Mar 18, 2005
    Got out onto Mt. Hood yesterday for the first time with the D2x. This is at an elevation of 5,600 feet. The summit -- actually with a cloud cap on it in this photo -- is at 11,235 feet, so you're looking at over a mile of vertical elevation here. The summit is about three miles away from where I'm standing. This is looking up White River Canyon from the west rim. The summit is towards the NNW so I'm on the SSE side of the mountain about 10:00 AM. Usually this time of year there would be far more snow still around. Thrre is fresh snow on the gliacier, though.

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gorgeous....

I went to Mt Hood in 1972.. Not picture one. :<(((((

Thanks so much for sharing.

3. fjp

fjp

Mar 18, 2005
    Hi, Gale. 1972 was five years before I moved there. I don't think I'd even heard of Mt. Hood back then! Now I know it like the back of my hand. What did you do when you went there?

4. Sweet shot what a beautiful mountain

5. fjp

fjp

Mar 18, 2005
    Yeah, I can't stay away from it. I do the same hikes over and over again, because it's too much for my brain to comprehend so it's a surprise every time I go back.

6. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Ooof...nice capture!

You've hit me right in my soft spot...mountains.

Cheers,

C

7. fjp

fjp

Mar 18, 2005
    There's plenty more where that came from. It's my soft spot, too. I fell in love with mountains long before I ever saw one. I saw pictures of them in a children's encyclopedia when I was 7 years old. That's when I fell in love. This was in Detroit, Michigan, where I grew up. I was locked in there until I joined the Air Force. Saw my first mountains in Crete and almost killed myself the first day trying to climb DOWN a cliff, of all things!

8. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Sounds familiar Frank...

I took a trip to Colorado to see an Ohio State football game (I grew up in Columbus, OH - but I am a Michigan Wolverine fan since I am 5...hee hee) when I was 16. Flew in on People's Express at night...got up the next morning and couldn't breathe!!! The Rockies just simply sucked all the air from my lungs...with their beauty and the thinner air at elevation! ;)

I will NEVER forget that first moment that I saw them...been hooked ever since.

Encore, encore...

C

9. fjp

fjp

Mar 18, 2005
    WOW does that sound familiar. Same thing happened to me flying into Crete. We flew into Athens at night, so couldn't see a thing! Then got on a plane and flew to Crete. We got there at 3:00 in the morning and zonked out. All I could think about flying from the states was that I was finally going to see mountains. Woke up the next morning and looked out the window and there was the snow-capped central mountain of the island that you can see from all over the place. I was shaking with excitement!

10. GreenCoal

GreenCoal Guest

Wow -- love the landscape. Wish I am there!