First time photo software user

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by slabwax, Jul 12, 2007.

1. slabwax

Aug 30, 2006
    As the title says I'm new to the photo software thing.

I use a MacBook w/2gigs ram.

I'm going to pick up a photo software program this next week and I need some advice on what program will serve me best. Something with a low learning curve would be a plus. I can afford Nikon Capture NX, Lightroom is top of price range. I can also buy an Edu copy of Apple Aperture. What do you all think?

2. Dean,
    Can't say for the others, but I love Aperture. the work flow is great, and it does the majority of any PP I need done in just a few clicks. It's simple and intuitive to use which Is one of my main reasons for liking it. There are better photo editors available but in the Mac world I inhabit - I would recommend Aperture.
  3. A resounding second to Mark's comments above!
  4. Donald D

Donald D

Aug 19, 2006
    1. Iphoto - which is already installed on your computer
    2. Aperture - if you wish to go beyond iphoto
  5. You may also be able to obtain Lightroom at education rates. I use Mac and Lightroom and appreciate the easy integration with Photoshop.
    There is also a 30 day trial of the full versions of Lightroom and I believe Aperture so you can compare.
  6. Another vote for Aperture here! :smile:
  7. slabwax

Aug 30, 2006
    Thank you

Well I guess The Apples have it. I'll order Aperture in the morning. Thanks for all the input.
  8. peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Aperture or Lightroom, both available at educational discount.
  9. F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Since I switched over to Mac I now have to update my photo editor also. Adobe will not let you cross platforms to update to Photoshop CS3 and I don't really want to spend that kind of money to get the full version of CS3. I really like Photoshop but I think the price will lead me to Aperture.
  10. I use Aperture 99.9% of the time for my post-processing; I only jump into CS2 (I've now bought but still haven't installed CS3 yet) when I need to do a little extra "something" to a particular image.
  11. slabwax

Aug 30, 2006
    I also have Apple Pro care so The "geniuses" at the Apple store will tutor me for free. That should help me get started.
  12. Make sure you get someone who is a photographer and who really understands the ins-and-outs of photography, never mind the ins-and-outs of the software....
  13. Butchdog

May 29, 2007
    If you buy Aperture with an educational discount look carefully at the terms of agreement. It is not to be purchased for personal use especially if you make any money at all with your photographs. I believe there is something about upgrades as well. I'm also a teacher and paid the $299 because I do some family portraits, senior portraits, and a wedding every now and then.
    I felt paying full price was the right thing for me to do.
  14. slabwax

Aug 30, 2006
    Hi Butchdog,

Thanks for the heads up regarding the Edu. copy and making money with my camera. I don't sell my photos. And I have no intention of ever doing so. I want to keep photography strictly a hobby.

15. Todd,

You might try purchasing the current version of Photoshop CS3 for the PC. Then call Adobe and ask them for the crossgrade version. So, for instance, you have PS CS for Windows, you buy PS CS3 for Windows, then get them to crossgrade you to PS CS3 for Mac. Sometimes you have to jump through hoops, but they will work with you as long as you have a licensed current version.

I had to buy PS CS2 to upgrade my old version of PS from 6.0, then they gave me a free upgrade to CS3 as I purchased it within the 30 window of CS3 shipping. It took about 3 weeks and a bit of calling, but it worked out in the end. Just be patient.

16. Will aperture work on these...

Will Aperture work with these computers? I'm using a G5 1.6MHz with 768MB RAM, (probably add another 1GB soon), and a new MacBook 2.16 dual Intel with 1GB RAM. I just started using iPhoto 6 for photo management and then edit in DxO Optics with final edits done in CS. If Aperture does what iPhoto and CS do then I may want to get it as long as it doesn't tax my system too much. I realize CS performance is probably suffering because of the low RAM in the G5 but I find it acceptable.

17. Aperture would work just fine in the MB, but I would recommend adding another GB of RAM. I think it would struggle a lot in the G5 (iMac?), and I'm guessing there would be limits as to how much extra RAM you can add to that machine....