First Time Shooting Girl's HS Lacrosse

I started my day mowing my lawn with snow flurries. Now just last week we had days in the 80's here in the Northeast. After mowing the lawn I decided to head to a local school that has girl's lacrosse. I've never covered a girl's game before so I was curious to see how it differs from the boy's game. Definitely not as fast and not much for hits, but some good action none the less. It was extremely windy which to be honest made it difficult to hold the 400/2.8 steady at times. With the wind there was wind-chills down in the mid-30's. Needless to say I was a bit chilly.

At any rate here is a select few from the day. Let me know what you think. They were all shot with the D3s and 400/2.8 some with 1.4tc, some with 1.7tc and some wide open.

D3S_7801.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D3S_7874.jpg

D3S_7964.jpg

D3S_8093.jpg

D3S_8121.jpg

D3S_8192.jpg

D3S_8266.jpg

D3S_8309.jpg

D3S_8333.jpg

D3S_8346.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, for lousy conditions you sure shot great. That thing must weigh a ton ! No monopod ?

Thanks for the feedback. The lens weights a little over 10lbs. I shoot with a monopod. I don't think anyone would want to muscle that lens around handheld!

Very nice Randy. I have 3 girls HS LAX games this week. I just picked up a 400mm 2.8 and I hope to have it for at least one of the games since they are all at night.

Randy, these are very nice, the image quality and the visible faces are particularly notable. I like this set a lot.

suweeet series Randy

Thanks Mike. Appreciate it.

7 and 9 are my favorites too, but all the photos are just awesome.

Thanks Jeff. Seven is one of my favorites too. I like how the background is pretty dark which brings the eye even more to the action.

Livonia, is that Livonia Michigan?

Thanks Matt. This was Livonia, NY.

Very nice Randy. I have 3 girls HS LAX games this week. I just picked up a 400mm 2.8 and I hope to have it for at least one of the games since they are all at night.

Thanks Steve. You'll love the 400. Did you get the VR version or I/II? Can't go wrong with either. I love how well it takes the 1.4 and 1.7 tcs. Number 1 above is with the 1.4 tc. Numbers 4-6 are all with the 1.7tc. The others are "naked". Virtually no quality difference at all.

Randy, these are very nice, the image quality and the visible faces are particularly notable. I like this set a lot.

Thanks Frank. The game was pretty much the first all spring where I haven't low harsh sun to deal with. The game started at 1PM, but it was pretty cloudy so that helped a lot.

Randy, I picked up a version II. No VR since I couldn't justify the extra 2k for it since I mostly need it for sports and I have never used the VR on my 200-400 for sports. I'm glad to hear it works so well with the TC's. You would never know from your shots that you had a TC on. The IQ is great.

- but was in

Thanks Todd. Good to see you on here. Now get some pics posted!

Not until I take some photos worthy of posting on this site...

No actually I will soon. I haven't had a chance to figure out the size limit for this site.

Big Soccer game down here tomorrow. I have been shooting with the D700 - 70 - 200/1.7 Teleconverter combo... I was thinking about taking out the D300 - 70 - 300 F4 - 5.6 combo and compare the two. I know I lose some IQ but interested to see how much.

Maybe I'll post those.

Todd

Latest threads

Top Bottom