1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First time shooting hockey w/ 300 2.8

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by tjk60, Sep 8, 2008.

1. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    I added some light, 2 SB800s on 1/4 power, and finally got to use the 300 2.8 for hockey... Let me know what you think. Just sharpening and resize for web

D200/300 2.8/ISO 640 1/250 @2.8
    368769667_F9RRb-XL.

368769700_5yfBh-XL.

368769707_wMynw-XL.

2. nice shots, tim
    i like that last one the most

3. Nice shot.

Curious, because I haven't tried it yet ... how much brighter are rinks, than gyms? I haven't been to any since I've got into photography, so I've never paid attention. Don't plan on using flash, or strobes, so I'm curious what I can expect.

Living in Canada, I think I'm going to use parents obsession with their children to my advantage this winter.

4. Tim looks good, although seems like there needs to be a WB adjustment. Bet your loving the 300 in there.

Adrian, just to let you know that any high level team will be used to seeing strobes, or strobed photos, as I have seen many teams from Canada down here in MA. Some do not like the strobes, but the parents love the images.

As for available light I have gotten anywhere from ISO 2000-3200 @ 2.8 1/500th depending on the rink, although you would prefer to have a higher ss.

5. RichNY

RichNY Guest

Tim, they look great. Where did you mount and aim the SB-800s?

6. That doesn't seem too bad. I live near the main rinks in the city, which is one of the main places where Pros come out of ... so while I'm hoping they have better lights than most, its just a hope I have. I'll have to check it out, because financially, strobes / light setup are out of the question, at the moment.

Do you have any sample images anywhere of non-strobed images with either the 70-200, or 300, with the D300? Shooting behind the net, I don't think 1/500 would be too bad, but that's just my assumption.

7. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Geoff, thanks, I just dialed in 4200 and let it fly. I was more working on trying to get the lighting worked out.

Rich, I mount them on the support beams with my new Superclamps...

368917069_B5vKZ-L.

Adrian, if you shoot from behind the net (thru the glass) you'll need better than the 70-200, unless it's a great rink. I've used my 85 1.8, and my keeper rate is lower, but I do get some good shots.

8. I'd be using the 300 2.8 most likely.

And, hearing how people struggle to shoot in hockey arenas, I know I can get into it, and produce better images than most (if not all), as I know up here that people don't have much better than D40s and Rebels. Whenever I show up in the 70-200 or 300, people ask for a business card right away for the most part. I just have to study up on shooting hockey, as I've always been an outdoor shooter.

9. Adrian, I always shoot from the benches or penalty boxes as there is no glass there. Haven't shot behind glass yet, as I prefer to keep as much light as possible, behind the glass you could lose 1-2 stops due to the glass.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.