First Time Shooting Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Dave, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    This was my first time ever shooting soccer...I stopped at the local field on the way home today just to test out my 300 AF-S II on a monopod. I think the lens does pretty good...now I need better practice.

1) Keep your eye on the ball, but watch that foot!
    [​IMG]

2) I can't believe the size difference between some of the kids
    [​IMG]

3) The ref is about to blow the whistle on these two
    [​IMG]

4) Bicycle kick anyone?
    [​IMG]

5) Goalie makes the save
    [​IMG]

6) Excuse me, that's my ball!
    [​IMG]

7) Taking out the goalie on a corner kick
    [​IMG]

2. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

Dave, looks like you picked up on soccer really quickly. Nice job. #4 is great. Did you get a burst of the bicycle kick by any chance?

3. jonh68

jonh68

Sep 21, 2008
    Alabama
    They look good. The only thing I could really fault is it didn't seem like you tried to get in better position in regards to the sun as they are all back lit. However, you exposed pretty good for the side you were on.

4. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

You did really good. I shot my first soccer game today and boy its a lot faster than football. Didnt do a really good job.

www.inglephoto.com

5. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Glen. I thought I did burst it, but I don't think the others came out as this is the only one I have and must have deleted the others since they were either out of focus or something. I was glad to at least get one that was in focus.

Well I was just doing it to try it out and didn't switch sides since I would have had to go on the other side where the teams were and I wasn't sure of the protocol on the field...so I stayed on the same side as the parents, which was not optimal but I was just testing. Thanks for looking.

Thanks. Yes it is a lot faster and CONSTANT action compared to football.

6. A bicycle kick?!?! OK, that is what it is called? I have a great shot I got of it one time, my one and only.
    Soccer teams are constantly coming up short it seems and they will draft younger players willing to play. Thus the height differences you see at times.
    Nice shots.

7. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Yup, that's what I've always heard them call it as it looks like they are riding a bicycle when they do the kick. I figured the height difference probably had something to do with the different ages, or just the different maturity levels of the kids, but it's still quite dramatic to see it.