First time track meet.

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Hamel, May 9, 2007.

1. Hamel

Hamel

Jan 16, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Actually, first time trying anything sports related. I just got back home from college and decided to go over and watch the my HS's last track meet. I talked to my old coach and he gave me free reign of anywhere I felt like going to take photos. They were up against Lewisburg, who is up for their 100th (or something just as ridiculous) win in a row. Anyways here are a few shots I maned all with the 50mm 1.8. These are in no particular order since I forgot the order of events since I last ran in track.

490540178_0eb556ae61.

View attachment 94453

View attachment 94454

View attachment 94455

View attachment 94456

View attachment 94457

View attachment 94458

Hope you enjoyed them,
    Justin

2. I like the perspective on both pole vault pics. I may take another look at how I'm doing the high jump, not happy with my pics so far.

Prefer this angle on the hurdles
    DSC_10888.

3. Hamel

Hamel

Jan 16, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Hmm, I do like that angle for the hurdles. I found Pole Vault the most fun to shoot because of the unique positions and facial expressions of the vaulters. I was shooting at f4 most of the time around 1/3000 and some of the runners would still not be sharp. Not quite sure if I just couldn't focus it fast enough or what. Maybe I will just go with f8-ish next time for the runners. My high jump ones didn't turn out all that well but it is similar angles to the pole vault, just more level with the bar.

4. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Good stuff Justin..If you can try and get them coming at you..I think that makes
    the best photos....Faces and expressions...:biggrin:

[​IMG]

5. ipsofacto

ipsofacto Guest

My favorite angle for hurdles is head on. Alot more visually impacting. Your first pole vault shot is awesome. For the jumping events I think a really wide angle is the most fun for those, and for polevault as well

6. 1/3000 is way more then fast enough. Anything less then 1/500 at 300mm and I start to worry.

7. ipsofacto

ipsofacto Guest

Its just hard to focus on something moving at you for the camera