Critique First time with a long lens

Real Name
Andy
I hope it is not too late to ask this question as I only joined the forum in the last few days. Can you tell me what camera you use and what lens you were concerned about, as I have had a Sigma c 150-600 f5 6.3 for about a week and I am finding it hard to hand hold at anything above 450mm and at 600mm it is really hard to keep it steady.

So would really appreciate any advice you can give me. My preferred image of yours is number 9 and if you were concerned about handling the lens from these images I have no idea why.
Welcome to the cafe! These photos were with a Z6. I have also used the lens quite a bit on a D500, which is a crop body. I believe I saw elsewhere that you’re also shooting a crop.

Hand holding a long lens is a challenge. Relying on lens or in-body stabilization helps, but is not a replacement for good technique, which takes time to learn. For my part, the non-VR 300mm f/2.8 was a monster to handhold, and by comparison, the 500 is lighter, longer, and stabilized: trifecta. One way or another, the lens has to be stable. Sometimes it still makes sense to use a tripod.

The only other tips I would offer for shooting telephoto is to favor higher shutter speeds when handholding and to nail the focus. You can correct noise resulting from high ISO in post, but blur and missed focus cannot be fixed.

I shot with the tamron 150-600 for several years- similar lens. I would venture to say, the camera makes little difference. Sensor size makes some difference, crop sensor needs even higher shutterspeed for any given focal length.
Practice, practice, practice. At least for me I have to keep the shutterspeed up. 1/3200 if I have light, slower I can see the difference- sometimes. At least 1/1000. Most of the stuff I shoot moves, so VR doesn't help a whole lot.
You can practice in your backyard. Practice tracking cars along the street. Then when you go out really shooting, you can worry about the images- not the lens.
Gary

Last edited:
Welcome to the cafe! These photos were with a Z6. I have also used the lens quite a bit on a D500, which is a crop body. I believe I saw elsewhere that you’re also shooting a crop.

Hand holding a long lens is a challenge. Relying on lens or in-body stabilization helps, but is not a replacement for good technique, which takes time to learn. For my part, the non-VR 300mm f/2.8 was a monster to handhold, and by comparison, the 500 is lighter, longer, and stabilized: trifecta. One way or another, the lens has to be stable. Sometimes it still makes sense to use a tripod.

The only other tips I would offer for shooting telephoto is to favor higher shutter speeds when handholding and to nail the focus. You can correct noise resulting from high ISO in post, but blur and missed focus cannot be fixed.
Thanks for this, this afternoon I purchased the D500 & will get delivery next week so I will see where I go from there.

I shot with the tamron 150-600 for several years- similar lens. I would venture to say, the camera makes little difference. Sensor size makes some difference, crop sensor needs even higher shutterspeed for any given focal length.
Practice, practice, practice. At least for me I have to keep the shutterspeed up. 1/3200 if I have light, slower I can see the difference- sometimes. At least 1/1000. Most of the stuff I shoot moves, so VR doesn't help a whole lot.
You can practice in your backyard. Practice tracking cars along the street. Then when you go out really shooting, you can worry about the images- not the lens.
Gary

As you may have seen I have just purchased the D500 although it won't be delivered until next week, as for shooting cars along the street no chance where we live as its a country lane with only 6 houses in so hardly any traffic. But you are right to keep practising, the D3200 higher ISO's are really poor over 800 and so much noise and I have seen how much higher you can go in the D500.

Real Name
Carl
From my first outing with the 500PF at a wildlife safari park. Before today, I had never used a lens longer than 300. I was surprised how difficult it is to achieve accurate focus even at f/5.6 with the increased focal length. Although I'm quite pleased with the initial results, I have much to learn about using this focal length. Please comment with any suggestions for improvement.

1. Elk
View attachment 1645374
2. Rolling Bison
View attachment 1645375
3. Grazing Bison
View attachment 1645372
4. Sandhill Crane
View attachment 1645373
5. Wounded Eagle
View attachment 1645371
6. Pelicans
View attachment 1645370
WOW! GREAT IMAGES!

Real Name
Andy
Thanks for this, this afternoon I purchased the D500 & will get delivery next week so I will see where I go from there.
The D500 is a big upgrade from a D3200; I think you'll be able to make the most of your new long zoom with it, and think you will love it.

Can you tell me what camera you use and what lens you were concerned about
If you're interested in seeing the lens/body/exposure data associated with photos posted by others, become a subscribing member. Any photos uploaded with EXIF data (the majority are) will show this information below the image. That plus requesting and receiving critique on your own posted images can go a long way towards improving your results.

Latest threads

Top Bottom