First Time With the 500 f/4

I got this lens to shoot nesting birds this Spring...and future Springs...but they're not here yet so I tried the new lens on some Spoonbills in the trees. Tried it alone and with 1.4 and 1.7 tc's. Also shot it on a tripod and handheld. So far I like it and look forward to the hatchlings to come. None of these birds were closer than about 50 feet and all were up in a big Live Oak. Any suggestions for a backpack that'll hold a gripped D500 attached to this 500 f/4? My Lowepro Mini Trekker is stretched by it, and that's with the lens removed!

1748z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1749a.jpg

1749c.jpg

Real Name
Bill
If you can find a Tamrac 5793 they work well. They don't make them anymore but you can find them used. It fit my 500f4G mounted to a D5 and was comfortable for some pretty lengthy hikes. If you were closer I'd sell you mine cheap.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I enjoy using my Kinesis bag. It accommodates either a 500mm or 600mm with a gripped D5/850 and even a 1.4 tele!!!!! Excellent bag. But I don't have backpack straps on it since I can't shoot such a big lens handheld. The lens is usually on a tripod and I slug the whole setup around. :oops:

If you can find a Tamrac 5793 they work well. They don't make them anymore but you can find them used. It fit my 500f4G mounted to a D5 and was comfortable for some pretty lengthy hikes. If you were closer I'd sell you mine cheap.
Got it today and it's perfect for the D500, 500/4, 1.7tc. Too bad they stopped making them, I'd order another one for when I wear this one out.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom