First trip to Fort De Soto... Looking for any advice. Picture attached: Eagle with part of a catfish.

All,

Driving over to Fort De Soto to take some pictures for a day or two. I have read that the North Beach is good in the morning. Looking for any other suggestions.

Will by taking a tripod with a gimbal head, 600 f/4, and a D5 and D850.

Not afraid of the water.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

-Jack

2 January 2020 from the Joe Overstreet Landing.
_8503163.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nice - in your face - eagle. The north beach area always has something there - the lagoon or walking along the beach. I haven't been there since March so I can't tell about the present condition. Others should chime in. Good luck.

Most reliable is to go to the north beach parking lot at sunrise, around 715 am these days. The lagoon rarely drains anymore, when it was shallow it was a great spot, but times have changed...maybe for the better. Now there is a mile long sandbar just off the main beach. You can walk out to it most tides. From the northernmost end of the parking lot, walk to the gulf, cross over onto the sand, and you'll know where to go. I wouldn't bring a long lens and tripod, that equals missed flight shots for me, but it is wide open so you'll do well. Oh, this place also works for the late afternoon since it's so vast. About a mile south of the sandbar is another wide open area that I usually check out before leaving after the morning shoot. Have fun and post some images.

Real Name
Randy
I spend a lot of time here and do very well with a D5 + 500e or 500pf
I’ve done best by being in the water before the sun breaks the horizon

I spend a lot of time here and do very well with a D5 + 500e or 500pf
I’ve done best by being in the water before the sun breaks the horizon

Thanks Randy

It was low 50's and the wind was 13 mph, water temp was 63 degrees. Got some decent shots and will be going back soon. Feet got numb after an hour LOL.

Do you stay at the same hotel every trip?

-Jack

Real Name
Randy
Thanks Randy

It was low 50's and the wind was 13 mph, water temp was 63 degrees. Got some decent shots and will be going back soon. Feet got numb after an hour LOL.

Do you stay at the same hotel every trip?

-Jack
Different Airbnb’s

Where did you have the best luck? North Beach?
Yes, North Beach. Lots of different little shore birds. The weather was not the best and I was told by a local birder that because of the wind and cold the bigger birds would stay away. There has been a lot of sand build up so access to Outback Key is easy... my best shots came from a tidal pool between North Beach and Outback Key.

-Jack

Real Name
Randy
I'll be there in March. I way prefer the West Coast over the last 5 years. Viera is ruined and MI is so crowded with people who don't know how to drive.
2 years ago we were in the water at NB and the air was 43. I just kneeled down in the cold water with a jacket on. It was still dark so when the resident reddish arrived he ignored us and fished away. It was an epic moment

p2688870821-4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have found N Beach best early in the morning when the tide is low.
After shooting N Beach Lagoon there are often skimmers and royal terns showing off around shelters 9 and 10.
E beach and the Barrier-Free Nature Trail is good during warbler migration.
Unfortunately the park has eliminated non-native Austrailian Pines and a lot of other plants that did not make the approved list so there is less bird habitat!
Hope to see the changes to the lagoon and sandbar next month.
-Jay-

Latest threads

Top Bottom