First try at focus stack - problem?

@Kry27, your theory is sound. This issue is, and don’t get me wrong I’ve not tried it with Nikon, is if the lens and body are set for AF, the camera will attemp to refocus prior to taking the first shot. This is why when I create a focus stack using Fuji, Olympus or a CamRanger, I have the lens set for AF, but the body MF.

EDIT:
The issue for me when in the field is working out which part of the subject is the closest to the lens. Particularly when photographing at an angle and there are a few subjects. Then there are those subjects with fine details you need to try and focus on.

This is a 20 image focus stack
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is a 10 image focus stack
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
No, you can adjust the focal plane a tad closer, over time I have found I do not need to do it, but it really would not hurt anything. At least with helicon focus software, I did find if you have too many out of focus images on either side you sometimes get a funny blurry halo. I use capture one to confirm when I start and stop having the object in focus, and only process those selected files.
gary

To avoid not getting the closest point sharp, would it help to focus on that, and then just turn the focus ring to get the focus plane a tad closer towards the camera? Then start from there?
I suppose so. If you use gchappel's way of working, I think it's easy. If you start from AF, it's hard to focus a tad closer if there's nothing to focus on.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom