First try at HDR - Noise in image?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by FotoPhocus, Aug 16, 2008.

1. FotoPhocus

FotoPhocus

Jun 15, 2008
    I shot a single NEF file, ISO100, and produced 5 exposures (-3, -1.5, 0, 1.5, 3), saved as TIF, and loaded them into Photomatix. The result is pretty saturated and contrasty, but for a first try at HDR, that is what I was going for.

http://rhernals.smugmug.com/gallery/5719113_NNVEr#352965793_bdXiu

You can view the original image there. The noisy areas are the windows. I ran it through NoiseNinja, which helped, but it's still noisy.

My question is - has anyone else had problems with the final image from Photomatix?

Edit: Maybe that's not so much noise as it is just the window screens?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2008
  2. the problem is your pushing one exposure very far either way, hence the noise.

You need to be shooting 5 seperate exposure either manually or via the bracketing.

3. FotoPhocus

FotoPhocus

Jun 15, 2008
    Thanks Phil, makes sense.

4. jcougowl

jcougowl

Apr 19, 2008
    Seattle
    are five exposures overkill in Photomatix, or can 3 do as well?

I've tried the freeby test version, but haven't pulled the trigger on buying it.

5. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    People sometimes use as many as 7 or 9 exposures to make HDR images...so 5 is def not overkill

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.