First try--engagement photos

Discussion in 'People' started by Terri French, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I gave my daughter's engagement photos a try yesterday. It was very overcast and dark. I used the 70-200 VR and my sb800. A relative of the groom has done a lot of portraits of family, and she did the posing. I just took the photos. I would love honest feedback. We can go out and do another shoot. They want outdoor photos with fall scenery. I'm afraid that maybe the flash is too harsh? I used the diffuser, but had the flash on 0 compensation.

View attachment 16229

View attachment 16230

View attachment 16231

View attachment 16232

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Nice shots. I don't think the flash is overdone - the last one could use some more - although a little less depth of field in a couple of them would have separated them from the background more effectively.

3. Hi Terri,

I don't think the light is all that harsh at all. You did good! You should be really proud.

#'s 1, 4, & 5 are my favorites. What a good looking couple! Thanks for sharing.

4. Lighting looks fine. The only thing I would change (as previously mentioned) was your depth of Field. The background is still in focus enough to be distracting on all but the last pic. Of course if you have a bit of patience you can blur it out in Photoshop :)

5. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Terri -

I think these are great, with #1 and #5 being my favorites. Great job! Color, comp, lighting are ALL good.

6. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Hey! All very nice. And to me #1 was especially difficult with the background and flesh tones turning out just right.

7. Terri, the lighting looks perfectly fine to me. The flesh tones are nice and warm on your daughter and her fiance. I think they came out extremely well.

8. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I appreciate the feedback

I work on a laptop--it is calibrated, but still the colors seem a bit off sometimes. I appreciate the feedback on the lighting and flesh tones. I am sending some of the pictures to be printed. I am anxious to see how they come out.

I certainly appreciate all of you taking the time to comment.

9. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Ken,
    So nice to see you back here. Hope your health is continuing to improve. Thanks for helping me with my photos.

10. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Terri,

Very good job. as others mentioned the DOF could be a little shallower. also with the shots with hands, they look a little contrived (i.e.stiff straight fingers). Lighting Looks nice, colors nicely saturated. If you don't mind I would love to play with these a little.

Dan

11. Hi Terri,

Nice work again allways nice to see your work. Beautifull setting you have put them in. And must be pleasure to have them in front of your camera.

I must allways laugh about the future son in law. He looks sometimes to relax like he was almost falling asleep. He is like droopy the dog with his relaxing eyes. You must be proud of them because the also seem very happy with you making photo's of them.

Sure you could have little bit more shallow DOF, but these photo's work allready very good. So you left alittle bit off room for the next photoshoot you have time enough to practice for the wedding dress en suit.

Great work like allways Terri!

Greetings,
    VinceBeus

12. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Please feel free to do whatever you would like to them. If you want the originals, I would be happy to e-mail any of them to you. Thanks for your efforts.

Terri