1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique First Try for Stars

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Minuteman3, Jun 30, 2018.

1. We're in the final stages of a 3-week cross country car trip. Stopped for a night in Monument Valley and one of my "goals" for this trip was to attempt to capture some night shots with stars there. Right off the bat, I found I had a bit of a challenge ... it was a full moon and it was rising just off the right side of this image. I was using a Nikon 14-24 f2.8 and a lot of my images have some light ghosting from the moon. If I get a chance to do this again, I'll do some research to see if there's a time when I could avoid a full moon! Of course, since these were shot around midnight, I could have gotten up again around 3 or 4 am when the moon was more to my back .... but I had to drove 400 miles so needed a bit of sleep!!

Here's one of my shots, a JPEG straight out of the camera. (I was shooting RAW+JPEG and will fully process the RAW's when I get home.)

2018-06-28 at 23-11-25 - Version 2.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I would really appreciate any feedback and/or suggestions when processing the remaining images!!

Thanks!!

Ken

2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. Very nice for starters, helped greatly by the stunning landscape there. I look forward to seeing more.

4. A good begining. I plan to do my first star shoot next month. I have been watching You Tube videos on how to do it. I will be up in the Sierra Nevada mountains at about 5000 feet. No moon will be out.. I have my fingers crossed... Again a very nice star photo.

5. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    You will do great, with your 14-28, I would shoot at f 2.8, iso 3200, NR on, full manual, about 30 seconds, manual focus or spot focus on a star and turn of af after you are in focus, have timer set for firing after you press shuter, be on tripod, and enjoy the results! In a pinch I have set my DS 3 on a hat on the ground for miliy way sky shots!

oh, final tip, either flip viewfinder cover switch, or place a cloth over the view finder to avoid stray light.

6. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    oh, I love the silhouette of objects at night, well done!

7. This one is beautiful Ken. I'm sure your edited images will be nicer.I'm going on a photography trip this weekend to shoot stars on Mount Nemrut . It will be a first for me too and I'm very excited about it. Let's see what happens :rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 1
  8. ITEPfoto

ITEPfoto

Jul 24, 2018
    St. Louis Missouri
    John M.
    That is a massive and beautiful sky. I have been attempting some Milky Way images - can't quite figure out how to get the saturation I see in some images. Plus I sometimes find getting 16-35 set to infinity is a challenge. Guess I need to read some articles and try the "stacking" method. Any comments welcome!
    _ITP5240.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Have you tried playing with the WB to get some attractive colors? Then you can increase the saturation according to your taste:rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.