First try w/studio lighting

Strongdigitalart brought his studio equipment over to the house yesterday. I think this will end up being a very expensive lesson for me - I liked his stuff! :rolleyes:

What do you think of this shot? One 5' soft box with an alien bee on the model's right, and a vertical reflector on the model's left. D2H, 80-200 f/2 @ 116mm, F9, 1/125.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

L

Logan

i like this shot very much, interesting catchlights. Great expression on the model and an overall great shot! looks like you have some spending to do :wink:

Nice tight one, the reflections of your studio lights are maybe ... just maybe ... showing to much in her eyes. Or should it be that way?

We had limited space in which to work and it was tricky positioning the large softbox, the model so that she would be sufficiently away from the backdrop, the reflector on the other side, and still have room for the photographer!
I would say that ideally the catchlights should not be quite so apparent and that the softbox should have been positioned a little further from the model.

Nice tight one, the reflections of your studio lights are maybe ... just maybe ... showing to much in her eyes. Or should it be that way?
Thanks Ales!

I have seen these large catch lights in portraits done by others and didn't know if I liked them or not. I do think they are a bit over-powering... But I'm not sure if they are the norm or not. I figure someone with some more experience then I will step in and let me know one way of the other.

Thanks for looking!

Youngsville (The edge of nowhere), North Carolina
The catchlights are fine.

Catch lights are a dilemma for everyone. You have to have the lightsource close to the subject to get soft shadows and the closer the lightsource, the bigger the catchlights... At least an Octobox will give you a rounder looking catchlight.

Jim, You did good. I like the catch light, and the soft shadows it produces as well. Look in any magazine, and you will see various pictures with the same lighting. For me, I like it.

Tiff was having a great time, but be careful, she may just quit her day job after all the attention from yesterday.

Jim, You did good. I like the catch light, and the soft shadows it produces as well. Look in any magazine, and you will see various pictures with the same lighting. For me, I like it.

Tiff was having a great time, but be careful, she may just quit her day job after all the attention from yesterday.
Thanks Bill! And I bet you're right about Tif! :biggrin:

B

bryan

try putting a reflector underneath to light up the bottom portion of the eyes and to help soften the chin line... you'll fall in love with this technique! I believe it's called the belly-pan.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom