1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First try with Ray Flash diffuser

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Frits, Aug 11, 2009.

1. After thinking about these for some time, I picked up a Ray Flash today - this is a diffuser that attaches to the on-camera flash and provides ring flash around the lens.

I am a big fan of natural light and use it whenever available. I will shoot with some strobes/umbrellas/softbox at times, but usually my candid style does not lend itself to that very often.
    I dislike on-camera flash and have tried a number of ways to diffuse its light.

I shot a few quick images of my better half in our back yard.

Very harsh sunlight onto the background and she was positioned in the shadow.

Put an SB-800 on the camera, attached the Ray Flash, throttled down the flash a bit - BAM!

I must say that I am pretty impressed with the very even and natural looking lighting, without being overpowering - just like that! Anne had been in the sun most of the afternoon and had an oily, glimmering face because of that. Try shooting THAT with a regular flash technique - it won't be pretty :eek: .

Anyway, more testing ahead. Especially indoors with a more prepared person (light make up etc.). But I do have a very positive first impression :smile:.

D700, Nikkor Ai-S 105mm f/1.8, SB-800/Ray Flash fill

original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Frank R

Frank R

Feb 18, 2006
    Long Island NY
    Very nice it doesnt even look like the flash fired.

3. edtsui

edtsui

Jan 31, 2007
    New York
    I really the soft effect of the ray. Perhaps I should also get one. How much does it cost now?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.