First two from my 180mm f/2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by craig.martell, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Ok,

I bit the bullet and bought the 180mm f/2.8. This lens is unbelievable. Here are two of my first shots. I still need some practice at hand-holding this lens, so I think they could have been even sharper. Love the bokeh this thing produces. Both shot at f/2.8, aperature priority. C&C encouraged.

My beautiful wife:
    818849165_99a12f93ab_b.

A little dude hanging out at the tennis tournament:
    View attachment 106184

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2007
  2. The 180mm is outstanding. Instant bokeh at F2.8. It beats messing around with 85 and 105 and it is handholdable.

3. rondd5

rondd5

Jun 12, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    It's great when you don't want to lug the 70-200VR around.

4. It's clear that you have excellent taste in lenses and wives, but your geography is suspect.

You list your location as "Central Coast of CA (Between Monterey and Silicon Valley)". The only thing between Monterey and Silicon Valley is Scotts Valley. Isn't the central coast in the San Luis Obispo area?

Anyway, congratulations on the new glass, Craig.

5. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    There's a lot between Monterey and Silicon Valley!!! San Jose, for one...Santa Cruz...Palo Alto...Saratoga...Mountain View...Los Altos...and on and on! I've driven to the top of the state and the bottom and I'd say these areas fall around the midpoint.......? Or is my geography suspect as well? I guess it depends on where Silicon Valley starts...

6. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    I forgot to say nice pictures, Craig!!

7. Scuse me, but San Jose titles itself The Heart of Silicon Valley.

8. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    Ok, so if it's the heart, then it means it's in the MIDDLE of Silicon Valley, so there's an upper a middle and a lower...??? So whatever lies between All of Silicon Valley and Monterey... there's still a bunch of places ...

9. Mostly Scotts Vallery... and some other stuff.

Don't take this too literally, KG. Maybe a few emoticons will help put it in context.

:biggrin::Crunk::rolleyes:

I was just funning with the new 180 owner.

10. > It beats messing around with 85 and 105 ...

Could you please explain this statement. Do you mean messing around with f/1.4 and f/2 apertures? Thanks.

11. Dave_Canada

Dave_Canada Guest

Nice images what was the settings for the second image the bokeh is outstanding.

12. fjgindy

fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Congrats on your new lens. It's one of those lenses you just love from the very first shot! It loves people...

13. Uncle Frank,

Actually, depending on who you ask, the Central Coast extends to SF. I actually live in San Juan Bautista, but I work in Monterey and my wife works in Mountain View. So, I just say "between Monterey and Silcon Valley" to both indicate where we live and what roads I drive ALL THE TIME!

Craig

14. Thanks Dave. The bokeh of this lens is exactly why I bought it. Uncle Frank's images were the main motivation. Here's a link to the EXIF info for the picture, but the short story is ISO 100, Aperture Priority, f/2.8, 1/1000 sec.

Here's another one with bokeh that blows me away. I only wish I had used a slight deeper DoF.

906063450_230b8ead6e.

15. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    AhA!

So my geography isn't so bad after all...
    I knew my degree from that university 40 minutes north of the 'heart of Silicon Valley' was worth SOMETHING!!!!

Uncle Frank-- I knew you were just having fun! I was, too...but then I got some doubts as to whether that was really central California (even though I spent 4 years there in school)!!!

16. Messing around with 85 and 105 looking for soft focus backgrounds, pixel_a_ted when it is so easy at F2.8 with the 180mm.