First walkabout with 80-400VR

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Holmes, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Greetings,

I purchased this lens a couple weeks ago here at the Cafe (thanks, Bandnuts!), but things have been so hectic I've not been able to do much with it yet.

I had previously tried a Sigma 150-500 OS and we didn't get along very well. Bit of a letdown as I really like Sigma's EX lenses but my sample of the big zoom just didn't deliver the goods past 380mm, even stopped down a bump. I was a bit reluctant to drop such a wad on an old tech lens but I'm very pleased with it so far. I still have a lot of practice to do so things will only get better.

I'm particularly pleased with how the lens deals with small distant subjects. It certainly outperforms my 70-300VR in this area.

I've posted a few handheld opportunistic shots for your consideration in this gallery: http://holmes.zenfolio.com/p188712165/

Each image is followed by the original out-of-camera file converted straight to jpg. This will demonstrate the degree of the crops involved. All exif data can be found under the 'Photo Info' tab.

The 80-400 VR may well be outdated but it's hard to beat its image quality and I just love the compact size. And it seems to agree with my outdated D200!

Hope this helps those considering adding one of the super-zooms to their kit.

Cheers!