1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First walkabout with 80-400VR

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Holmes, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Greetings,

I purchased this lens a couple weeks ago here at the Cafe (thanks, Bandnuts!), but things have been so hectic I've not been able to do much with it yet.

I had previously tried a Sigma 150-500 OS and we didn't get along very well. Bit of a letdown as I really like Sigma's EX lenses but my sample of the big zoom just didn't deliver the goods past 380mm, even stopped down a bump. I was a bit reluctant to drop such a wad on an old tech lens but I'm very pleased with it so far. I still have a lot of practice to do so things will only get better.

I'm particularly pleased with how the lens deals with small distant subjects. It certainly outperforms my 70-300VR in this area.

I've posted a few handheld opportunistic shots for your consideration in this gallery: http://holmes.zenfolio.com/p188712165/

Each image is followed by the original out-of-camera file converted straight to jpg. This will demonstrate the degree of the crops involved. All exif data can be found under the 'Photo Info' tab.

The 80-400 VR may well be outdated but it's hard to beat its image quality and I just love the compact size. And it seems to agree with my outdated D200!

Hope this helps those considering adding one of the super-zooms to their kit.

Cheers!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.