First Water Hyacinth

Yesterday, the first Water Hyacinth of the summer bloomed in our back pond. (Right beside the Water Lily of the day before!) I narrowed all my shots down to these 2. I liked the first one, my husband preferred the second one. Comments, opinions, critiques?

Nikon D100 ,Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D AF
1/40s f/4.0 at 50.0mm

45320382.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nikon D100 ,Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR
1/30s f/8.0 at 70.0mm with Canon 500D CloseUp lens

View attachment 11131

Hi Lin,

The second one to me is better. Totally different lighting and composition. That is what makes it better, not so much the lens.

Really can't compare the 2.

Think I would push the saturation on it a bit for the net anyway.. Sure changes what you see at home.. Not fair :>)) This net thing.

I have the 70-200 VR and the 500, but haven't even used the lens yet :<(((((

I also have the 50mm 1.8 and it does a great job on flowers.

Hi Lin, nice images of a beautiful flower. On the second one I would bump the contrast up a bit which would make it brighter and seperate it some from the background.

Lin,

As Gale said, they are different shots, but I like the second. I agree with pushing the contrast and saturation a bit. I think that you would like the way a small change in these areas can make these images pop. :wink:

I tried adjusting the contrast and was very impressed at how much difference it made. With Saturation, I'm less sure. It seems better but maybe a little forced? Boy, it's hard to tell what it will look like on the net, especially today with the current speed of PBase!!

Orginal:

45320246.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here it is with both Contrast and Saturation boosted:

View attachment 11133

Latest threads

Top Bottom