First Wedding (CLS Problems)

Discussion in 'People' started by zapufast, Jun 18, 2007.

1. I shot my first wedding a few weeks ago in a 120 year old church. I did it as a favor for a good friend of the family for a very reduced price. I have a new found respect for wedding photographers.

Mike (Duschoolboy) and I setup (4) SB-800's and both had SU-800's on our cameras. We tested the set-up and was happy with the results. Then it happened.

The DJ arrived and started playing soft music as the church filled up, I took a picture of one of the family members and the music stopped! Everytime we took a picture the CD player would stop..not pause.. stop. So with less than 5 minutes before the bride came down the isle, we changed our set-up.

I feel our pictures suffered from this, but the bride was happy with the results. (Thats what matters the most)

Has anyone ever heard of this happening? The CD player didn't have a IR sensor for a remote and when we went to the reception his equipment (different system) worked fine with CLS.

Here are a few of them.
    original.
    View attachment 101416
    View attachment 101417
    View attachment 101418
    View attachment 101419
    View attachment 101420
    View attachment 101421
    View attachment 101422
    View attachment 101423
    View attachment 101424
    View attachment 101425
    View attachment 101426
    View attachment 101427
    View attachment 101428

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2007
  2. Tim,

Was his equipment set to Channel A? LOL...just kidding...

How weird...but regardless, those are some wonderful shots, and I can see why the beautiful bride is very happy...great job.

3. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    Nice work, Ive never heard of that happing.... good recovery!

4. You did great despite the challenges that you faced.

5. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Wow...That is very strange...You recovered nicely because these photos are
    excellent.

6. Great work! Like the others said here, I never heard of it happening either.

7. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Another reason to use Pocket Wizards instead! Couldn't you have just used the flash on-camera instead of SU-800?

8. Very nicely done!

9. Nice shots. I had to laugh about the music issue (sorry:biggrin:) because I can't imagine how awkward that must have been...

Another reason why I wouldn't do a wedding. Stuff like that would happen to me... :rolleyes:

10. Group B Channel 1 and the SU-800 was communicating well! :biggrin::biggrin: Too Funny.... but it wasn't funny right at the moment!
    Thanks John!

Thanks, I don't understand it either.

Thanks Dave!

Thanks for the comment Rod.

Thanks Catz, I was hoping someone had an answer for me.

Hey Taylor, we stole (2) of the SB-800's from the back and mounted them on camera (Mike has a D2h and doesn't have a pop-up) and left the other (2) SB-800's in the front and put them in SU-4. Which you know what that meant...... everyone with P&S's was popping my flashes.
    We dealt with it, but you know how you get that hot feeling in your forehead when you really get put on the spot??...... I was there!

Thanks Frank!

Thanks Brian, I can laugh now, but it really wasn't funny then.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
    And as far as luck, if it can happen to me....... it will! :wink:
    I tried to prepare for everything, but I really wasn't ready for that one!

Tim

11. Did his CD player have an IR port on it? If it did, did you try putting tape over it to see if it was getting confused by the SU?

Would be interesting if you could track that guy down and run a test or two, just in case something similiar happens to someone else...

Gary

12. Nice recovery. The images look great and I wouldn't have guessed you had equipment issues from looking at them.

13. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Those are some really great pictures.

14. First the pics shown here look great!!! However, I think you went overboard with the multiple sb setup. It's not really necessary for wedding shots in a church. A single sb800 either on camera (w/bounce card) or attached to a flash bracket is sufficient.

15. Hey Gary,
    It did not, I looked for that....while trying to make sense of it. He(the DJ) told me that it didn't even have an option for a remote.

That was my first thought also.

As far as tracking him down, he was out of state for the wedding, so testing is out of the question.

Very Strange. Thats why I wanted to ask on here and see if anyone else has ever ran across this problem. I guess I am the first.

Tim

16. Thanks Dave, RAW saved the day AGAIN!

Thanks, Seneca!

17. Thanks Keith, I was really concerned about not having enough light, so we tried this set-up and it worked really well. The SU-800 is very light (no frame 7+ lbs.) and works well in portrait and landscape. Church was fairly big and no matter which way I pointed the camera all flashes worked. Seem to make sense at the time, and the results spoke for themselves. Right up to about 5 minutes before the bride came down the isle, after that we basically used the SB-800's with the flash card and (2) SB-800 bouncing off the ceiling in SU-4 mode.

Photographing my first wedding, it was pretty stressful to say the least.:actions1:

Tim :biggrin:

18. I understand completely. With the glass you have, you should have been fine though. With the 30 & 50 1.4's, the 17-50 & 70-200 and the right settings you would have been more than enough.

While I don't specialize in weddings, I do them quite frequently mostly as a 2nd shooter. While I'm totally horrible with shooting indoors using available light, I've gotten pretty good using an sb800 on a bracket. Even though it gets to be a heavy combo with two rigs, D2hs/70-200 and D70 w/grip and either 28-70 or 85 1.4, I've gotten used to it.

As I mentioned, you did a great job, and I'm sure the bride and groom will be pleased with the photos.

19. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Tim, wow I never heard of that either. Maybe the DJ didn't like the flashes and he shut the CD player off.

Great images, I can see why she is happy! Good job!

20. Very nice pictures and exposures... how did you setup 4 SB-800s? Where did you place them? Did you have them on stands with shoe mount?