First Wedding Tomorrow and im nervous...

Hey Everyone,
I am shooting my first Wedding tomorrow, I have been doing Photography for over 7 years, I own a legit Photo business, I am confident in my work.... SO WHY AM I SO NERVOUS? lol

Any new undertaking can make one nervous, which isn't a bad thing, it makes one double check everything. Even experienced actors get nervous before going on stage.

Bazza

Any new undertaking can make one nervous, which isn't a bad thing, it makes one double check everything. Even experienced actors get nervous before going on stage.

Bazza

ive been checking my bag all week making sure i have everything, enough of them and extra! I bought a spare SB-910 just in case as well. Sadly it rips threw lithium batteries :(

Check your batteries again.
Bring your charger just in case.
Think quality, not quantity but be prepared to shoot in the thousands.
I'm sure you'll do fine. :smile:

I did my first in April using only my 14-24mm which was not ideal but actually the perfect lens for it in the end. This was for one of my oldest and closest friends and I was so nervous about it but it went really well and they are delighted with the 75 shots I ended up with (I took about 350 - it was a short registry office wedding!). I bought a new SB700 and half a ton of eneloops beforehand but it was all fine. I'm glad you have a spare flash unit though as mine got red hot at one point and I was starting to get worried.
It was fun though and I relaxed into it pretty quickly but I wouldn't particularly want to do it again :wink:

More courage than I will ever have.
Just wondering how folks store their batteries.
I take my eneloopes 5 at a time for my SB 800s and roll them into the thin plastic kitchen wrap, then apply a small amount of tape. Easy to tear open, avoids unwanted accidental shorts, and I always know which battery is fresh.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it rains im screwed...I will have to shoot in a lobby of a hotel and they are calling for showers. If it lets up i have a ton of nice shots planned for outdoor but indoor i have to shoot them infront of a 20 foot high window im scared my flash will show each time. plus i was thiniing of buying bulk lithium batteries for tomorrow?

My suggestion is to attend the rehearsal, if possible, for some ceremonies do have unique situations. Suffice it to say, something invariably goes wrong during the day.....roll with it and keep shooting. Good luck!

Tom, I use these, in 4 & 8 sizes for charged spares (used go in a ziploc sandwich bag) : http://www.thomasdistributing.com/MAHA-POWEREX-4-Cell-Plastic_p_107.html

+1 I went to the registry office and the reception venue a couple of weeks before the event and it made me feel much better about it.

Tom, I use this - http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/aa-battery-holder.aspx

and these - http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-eneloop-Battery-Storage-Case/dp/B009RPBEEK

for storing batteries.

If it rains im screwed...I will have to shoot in a lobby of a hotel and they are calling for showers. If it lets up i have a ton of nice shots planned for outdoor but indoor i have to shoot them infront of a 20 foot high window im scared my flash will show each time. plus i was thiniing of buying bulk lithium batteries for tomorrow?

It rained for my shoot and it was a godsend. Shooting indoors I was able to control the lighting a lot more, bounce the flash back over my shoulder and off the ceiling etc to avoid reflections in the big window behind them. The bride was fashionably late so I had ten minutes to practice that :smile:

Hey Everyone,
I am shooting my first Wedding tomorrow, I have been doing Photography for over 7 years, I own a legit Photo business, I am confident in my work.... SO WHY AM I SO NERVOUS? lol

I will give you the wise wisdom of the voice teacher I had when I was younger...."If you are not nervous, you don't give a damn."

Remember that :smile:

Carole

Take your time and get the right shot, remember when not using your flash to not sacrifice ss for lower iso.. NR is great, the D800 has amazing dynamic range, but the 36mps shows a hell load of camera shake and dress details are important!! (+1ev for sunny days with the wedding dress)

Todd, You're nervous because you want to do it right! That is a good thing, as you well know. Have fun. I also use those plastic battery cases and they work well. Eneloops are da BOMB.

.....Just wondering how folks store their batteries.
I take my eneloopes 5 at a time for my SB 800s and roll them into the thin plastic kitchen wrap, then apply a small amount of tape. Easy to tear open, avoids unwanted accidental shorts, and I always know which battery is fresh.

I use the 12AA Pack Battery Caddy by Storacell (www.powerpax.net). Wonderful!

Hey, I am always nervous day before I have an important photography work to do :) I guess it's just normal. Some people get used to it and quit being nervous, some (like me) never quit.

No reason for your flash to show... put it off camera. Looks better indoors anayways. Put it high on a stand, and shoot down on them, creating a spotlight effect. Find a couch, or large chair for a prop, cool lamps, little niches, a large painting on the wall, etc. Lots of ops indoors in a hotel lobby...

The weather today is very misty rain :(
I went out and spent $80 on batteries for my flash and a few extra memory cards. I dont have enough cards to shoot the whole wedding in RAW so i need help figuring out what is most important when shooting weddings to edit?

I suggest shooting the actual wedding ceremony and posed (formal) shots in RAW, if possible......the reception is typically more spontaneous, and doesn't absolutely have to be in RAW if limited in card capacity.

If time permits, and you see shots that are 100++% unusable, they could be deleted in camera, but be very careful.

ive been checking my bag all week making sure i have everything, enough of them and extra! I bought a spare SB-910 just in case as well. Sadly it rips threw lithium batteries :(

If you dont keep your camera at base ISO or low ISO then you wont kill your batteries. You are probably using TTL and a low ISO thus causing your flash to run at full power every time causing Heat, battery drain and slow recycle.

with Flash dont be afraid to use ISO 500-800, grain doesn't show in flash images with light and the flash doesn't work close to as hard as you have it.

I did my first in April using only my 14-24mm which was not ideal but actually the perfect lens for it in the end. This was for one of my oldest and closest friends and I was so nervous about it but it went really well and they are delighted with the 75 shots I ended up with (I took about 350 - it was a short registry office wedding!). I bought a new SB700 and half a ton of eneloops beforehand but it was all fine. I'm glad you have a spare flash unit though as mine got red hot at one point and I was starting to get worried.
It was fun though and I relaxed into it pretty quickly but I wouldn't particularly want to do it again :wink:

Same as above, use higher ISOs and you wont have that problem.

I use SB900, 800, 600 and a 3rd party flash Lumpro 160 and dont have any over heating issues.

I use duracell rechargeable batteries in all my flashes and remove triggers and between a 3 hour wedding reception with constant use and then a 3 hour sweet 16 party back to back and no recharge they held up just fine.

More courage than I will ever have.
Just wondering how folks store their batteries.

I have a bag of disposable batteries for emergencies in my bag at all times but all of my flashes and radio triggers have 1 set of duracell rechargeable batteries and I leave them in the flashes until they die and then i take them out and recharge them the night before my events.

Been doing this for 2 years with no issues on the same batteries.

I suggest shooting the actual wedding ceremony and posed (formal) shots in RAW, if possible......the reception is typically more spontaneous, and doesn't absolutely have to be in RAW if limited in card capacity.

If time permits, and you see shots that are 100++% unusable, they could be deleted in camera, but be very careful.

+1, ceremony in RAW and for the reception dial in your white balance and shoot in JPEG.

i shoot in raw for my receptions as I have a 32 GB card but I normally only take around 2-300 for the reception.

for a sweet 16 party I took over 900 pictures so i shot in jpeg the whole time since i was using flash and back lighting and just dialed in my white balance and exposure properly.

you'd be surprised how much lattitude is in a jpeg still and I was still able to recover all of my images that were a little under or over exposed

Latest threads

Top Bottom