First Z lens?

I'm trying to decide which lens to buy for my Z6 arriving tomorrow. I am getting the adapter, so there's no rush, but I'm looking for opinions. Here's what I have now, all F mount of course.
Nikkor:
17-35 2.8 (needs AF focus repair)
18-35 - newest AF S version, very sharp
18-140 DX
12-24 DX
28 2.8 AF, non D
55mm 2.8 AI S manual focus macro
50 1.8 AF, non D
85 1.8 AF-S
24-120 4 AF-S, newest version
70-200 2.8 VR I
Tamron: 90 mm macro, newest version

Maybe you should try out what you already own and see what works, and what doesn't before you consider anything else. My Tamron 90 doesn't work, but it's the original version. I wanted one native lens and love the 24-70 f4 S, but miss the long end that I have on the 24-120. I still have that lens, but it is so much heavier. But I may use it sometimes.

You could get the 14-30mm f/4 first which would consolidate your 17-35mm and 18-35mm lenses. Saying that though, I did try the 18-35mm G and it works quite well on the Z. Also the 24-70mm f/4 is super sharp, making the 24-120mm f/4 VR feel like a somewhat dull pencil. Looking at your kit though, there looks like some areas where you can consolidate and/or upgrade to either G versions (to gain full F/Z compatibility) or just go with the native Z lens for optimal performance and size reduction.

Last edited:
You could get the 14-30mm f/4 first which would consolidate your 17-35mm and 18-35mm lenses. Saying that though, I did try the 18-35mm G and it works quite well on the Z. Also the 24-70mm f/4 is super sharp, making the 24-120mm f/4 VR feel like a somewhat dull pencil. Looking at your kit though, there looks like some areas where you can consolidate and/or upgrade to either G versions (to gain full Z compatibility) or just go with the native Z lens for optimal performance and size reduction.
I'm definitely interested in the 14-30 f4. But I am going to just use what I already have, first. I agree about that 24-70 f4 being super sharp, but Rodney must not have been interested in it because he didn't buy it as a kit. Perhaps there will be used ones on the market soon if he changes his mind. For me, money is always an issue. I have plenty for what I need, but I don't want to be wasteful. I want to make sure it is something I will really use for a long while before I buy.

I'm definitely interested in the 14-30 f4. But I am going to just use what I already have, first. I agree about that 24-70 f4 being super sharp, but Rodney must not have been interested in it because he didn't buy it as a kit. Perhaps there will be used ones on the market soon if he changes his mind. For me, money is always an issue. I have plenty for what I need, but I don't want to be wasteful. I want to make sure it is something I will really use for a long while before I buy.

I think this review was quite extensive showing just how good the new 14-30mm f/4 is. It's basically flawless! Also I think the F mount prevented Nikon from making a non-bulbous 2.8 lens wider than 17mm. Now with the Z mount, Nikon can design lenses in the most efficient and less restrictive manner!

I think this review was quite extensive showing just how good the new 14-30mm f/4 is. It's basically flawless! Also I think the F mount prevented Nikon from making a non-bulbous 2.8 lens wider than 17mm. Now with the Z mount, Nikon can design lenses in the most efficient and less restrictive manner!
I saw that video yesterday!! Thanks.

I'm trying to decide which lens to buy for my Z6 arriving tomorrow. I am getting the adapter, so there's no rush, but I'm looking for opinions. Here's what I have now, all F mount of course.
Nikkor:
18-140 DX
12-24 DX
28 2.8 AF, non D
50 1.8 AF, non D
85 1.8 AF-S
70-200 2.8 VR I
My reply to these kinds of questions is that you are framing the question wrong. The question is not what lens to buy, but what kind of photos do you want to take that you can't with your current equipment? The caveat here is that the Z lenses bring certain strengths (and weaknesses) to the line-up.

So what do you like to shoot with what lenses? Are you a prime guy? Landscape photographer? Events (family and otherwise)? Once you can define a need, picking the right tool becomes a lot easier.

I didn't buy the kit mainly for monetary reasons. I also didn't do a lot of research, so I wasn't fully aware of how good the lens is. I was up against the deadline for the free ftz and had to order by the 31st.

My reply to these kinds of questions is that you are framing the question wrong. The question is not what lens to buy, but what kind of photos do you want to take that you can't with your current equipment? The caveat here is that the Z lenses bring certain strengths (and weaknesses) to the line-up.

So what do you like to shoot with what lenses? Are you a prime guy? Landscape photographer? Events (family and otherwise)? Once you can define a need, picking the right tool becomes a lot easier.
I shoot landscapes, but for serious shots, I'll still use my d800 for the resolution. I'm getting the z6 for higher iso capability and compactness. It'll be my go to for family stuff and anything else that requires the speed that the d800 isn't giving me. I also have a d300, which I use for some events. I imagine the Z will make me never pick up the d300 anymore.

I would say just try out what you have when the camera comes, unless you decide you want to return it and get the one with the 24-70 f4. If you don’t want to do that, there is really no rush and you could just try it out and see what works. It’s what I am doing with all my older lenses. For now, I am also keeping my D610 for the lenses that aren’t working on the Z6. As I eventually replace my F glass with Native Z glass, I’ll reconsider selling the D610 as both my FX bodies are 24 mp now. I have printed photos fairly large with my files from the 24 mp bodies and haven’t felt the need for more resolution. Now, back to work. I’ll check out that Tamron lens later today.

Real Name
Andy
Nikkor:
18-140 DX
12-24 DX
28 2.8 AF, non D
50 1.8 AF, non D
85 1.8 AF-S
70-200 2.8 VR I
Presuming you're not willing to pay premium pricing, if you want a native lens in the near future, the 24-70 is the best bet.

I bought a Z6 and Z7 with only the 24-70 f/4 as my sole native Z-mount lens. Like you, I'm relying mostly on adapted F-mount glass before making a serious move towards Z-mount glass. The 24-70 f/4 is really excellent, and a fantastically good value at introductory kit pricing (effectively $600). You should have no trouble getting one used for slightly more than that amount. The other native offerings are still overpriced at the moment, IMO. Waiting for used copies to hit the market and/or for Nikon to lower their prices is probably worthwhile.

Lastly, to state the obvious, there's no reverse adapting a Z-mount back to a DSLR. Adapting is a one-way street.

I shoot landscapes, but for serious shots, I'll still use my d800 for the resolution. I'm getting the z6 for higher iso capability and compactness. It'll be my go to for family stuff and anything else that requires the speed that the d800 isn't giving me. I also have a d300, which I use for some events. I imagine the Z will make me never pick up the d300 anymore.
Well you might as well try the 24-120 as long as you have it for family stuff. I'm betting you come around to the 24-70. I had the 24-120 on a D750 and just felt that it was a BIG lens. The Z6 and 24-70 just handles much better though yeah the extra 50mm on the end would have been nice.

I agree that once the 24-70 2.8S become available, there will probably be a number of the used f4's around probably below the kit price.

If the 35 isn't wide enough for your landscape, you might wait for the 24 S, but one of the defining characteristics of Z lenses is turning out to be corner to corner sharpness - a real plus for landscapes.

So the kit I got, FTZ, 32 GB card and (useless) bag, was $1996 Sat. Today it's $2243, so I feel good about that!
You got a nice deal!! I checked out the Tamron 90 di macro that I have, but mine is an older version than yours. It metered fine, but didn't autofocus. I put some photos that I took with it in the Z6 photo thread. I tested out my 70-200 f2.8 VR version one more today. It focused fast most of the time but occasionally it would hunt if I was changing to a new location and it had to shift to a much closer or further focusing target....not every time I changed, but just once in a while.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom