Fish market

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by malfayu, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Woke up real early this morning to walk around this fish market which i found, minutes away from where l live in hong kong. So i took my F3 with me, loaded with a roll of superia reala and and started shooting. I love how little attention the F3 attracts!! People just carried on doing what they do and that's exactly what i wanted:smile:

The place was absolutely packed with people, mainly older men and women and housewifes though, for obvious reasons,
    437778011_8e2abd357d_b.

Can't you just smell the fish? It does look quite errr.... unappetising but us chinese people manage to get by fine without problem. My 18-35, although horrible to use on the F3 with its undamped focus ring and i'm not able to focus it, was extremely useful in tight quarters like these.
    437778005_48d65e5219_b.

437777987_ba52decf5f_b.

437777975_26cacf765b_b.

Parents seem to like bringing their kids to the market too, i was quite surprised by this,

2. 437799745_6a737621b4_b.

437781915_7f002f7304_b.

437781925_1939cfe167_b.

It was a fun morning, definitely worth waking up early for! :biggrin:

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent images
    Thanks for sharing your morning walk with us

4. I enjoyed these, and now I've got a song in my head about rolly-polly fish heads, eat them up yummm.

5. Good job on these. It's always interesting seeing shots of everyday people going about their business. I like the colors and angles here, too.

6. Malf,

I started laughing when I saw the kid in the trike with its finger up its nose! Cracked me up. Good results from a morning walk, reminds I need to take a trip to the Sydney Fish Markets one day.

Wide angles are indespensible in this shooting enviroment. One the main reasons I still shoot film is that I refuse to concede my wide angles to a cropped digital sensor.

Nice stuff.

7. TechPan

TechPan

Oct 5, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Very nice images....

I might be daft...but what lens did ya use...?

Man... I am missing my F3HP that I had in the late 80's.

8. Great stuff - lovely fuji colour, and so much life in every frame, wonderful.

9. I was using a combination of 18-35mm 3.5-4.5, 50mm 1.8 AF and 105 2.5 AIS, i really didn't feel that my 180 2.8 would have been appropriate here, it'd have made me stand out too much....

Love them all for the results, but the AF lenses are just horrible to manual focus with, there's no way of finetuning because of the roughness. Unlike the 105 which just handles perfectly. My 18-35 is actually a very good lens, but i never dare going below f5.6 on it, but smaller than f8 it's brilliant.

The F3 is addictive; the viewfinder which looks 3-dimensional, the film wind lever which is so smooth yet mechanical, a light meter which yields perfect negative every single frame in A mode, well unless the scene is so wrong that i see something needs to be done to it. In short i can't imagine a more perfect film camera.

Yeah i share your feeling too, i didn't use my 18-35 much at all since i got it becasue i didnt like the range on digi crop, but now it's such a revelation to look through the viewfinder at 18mm, that it's probrably getting an equal share of use between my primes. In fact i like all my lenses much much better on the F3, god i hate DX crop.

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Nice stuff Malf! You like the 180 on a DX crop camera, don't you? I do.

11. I love fuji colour too, i'm starting to really take a liking of fuji reala lately, the colour is punchy yet natrual, definitely worth the step up from thr normal superia stuff, it's the only negative film that i really started liking. right now i have some velvia 100 in the camera, can't wait to finish it and get it developed!!

12. This is my least hated crop definitey, but still i perfer it on my F3:biggrin: maybe i'll even start liking it eventually!!!