1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Fisheye comments wanted 16/2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by pforsell, Jul 22, 2008.

1. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Hiya,
    we all know the nice thread about the DX 10.5/2.8 fisheye.

I am in the midst of a transition into FX and would like some comments, pro and con, about the Nikkor AF 16/2.8 and possibly the Sigma EX 15/2.8 diagonal FX fisheye lenses. Film and/or DX performance is not relevant, since the wide angle and fisheye lenses behave very differently on FX sensor.

There aren't so many Nikon FX bodies out there yet, but perhaps the situation is a bit different by the end of the week... :biggrin: (Nope, I haven't pre-ordered so I won't be one of the lucky ones).

So, please comments (also speculative), first hand experiences and sample photos are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2008
  2. I've never used the 16/f2.8 on FX, but I've used it on 35mm. I think I'd be pretty surprised if you can tell the difference between a 10.5/DX and a 16/FX. The FOVs are the same, and the 16's performance is about the same. The only difference that I can remember is that I have never seen much CA on the 16, even the couple of times I put it on a DX body. Since the FX sensors are less dense any any DX sensor, one would expect that any CA would be less obvious. (That's the theory, anyway.)

Thom Hogan says that the Sigma 15/f2.8 is more or less the equivalent of the Nikkor 16/f2.8, but I've never used one myself (even on 35mm).

3. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Thanks Brian,
    I know from your earlier posts that you use fisheye lenses quite a lot and own several, if I remember correctly. The experience about CA is exactly the kind of information I am looking after and the news is better than good!

Thanks.

4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi peter-

the nikon 16mm is a fun lens to use, although you have to watch out for your feet and camera strap as they can sometimes end up in the frame. my copy of the nikon 16mm is pretty sharp wide open on the few test shots i did with it at that aperture. i haven't seen any CA in actual use, but i haven't shot wide open in real-world use.

never used the sigma so i can't offer any comparison there.

i'm still working on getting good photos out of the lens (wide angle thinking issues on my part), but here are some samples on the D3:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ricky

5. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Thanks for samples.

The lens seems to perform really well on D3. The second image proves wrong my claim that the world is a pancake after all :smile: but my favorite is the #4 (the bus). Don't know why, but it draws me back again and again.

6. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.