Fisheye comparison, Sigma vs Nikon

After moving to FX, it's time for a fisheye again. I think it is between the Nikon 16mm and the Sig 15mm.
Anybody care to comment on some of the differences, strengths, and weaknesses?

personally i have had both. I prefer the sigma. it is the one i have now and will never let go of.

Pros for Nikon:
A little more flare resistent
Build

Cons for Nikon:
MFD is long when compared to 10.5 or sigma 15
Costly

Sigma Pros:
Comes with Bag
Sharpness on par with Nikon 16
MFD is 5" vs Nikons 8.5" and yes it make a difference
Can be had for $350-500 used

Cons for Sigma:
Less build quality
Sharp lens hood
funky lenscap thing

Both are good but for Fisheyes i really like to be able to get really close so i can get the fishy effect. and the Sigma beats out the nikon there. Image quality is on par with sharpness, color and contrast. AF speed is teh same, with sigma being slightly more noisy, but both are kinda noisy so it doesnt really matter.

I just got the Vivitar 8mm. It is a really good lens, but it's going to take me a while to get used to using it. It takes a different kind of eye for composition since it's so wide.

I just got the Vivitar 8mm. It is a really good lens, but it's going to take me a while to get used to using it. It takes a different kind of eye for composition since it's so wide.

If you dont mind, how much did you get it for and where?

Thanks.

I've also owned both. I found that the Sigma had slightly sharper corners wide open, but stopped down the Nikon wins. However the Nikon had noticeably less colour fringing/CA than the Sigma, especially in the corners. I was able to get the Nikon from eBay at a good price, "new price" is a little too high I think. Also there is the joy of using original Nikkor glass, instead of 3rd party, but that is probably more a result of me psychologically trying to justify the higher price of the Nikon 16mm (although I didn't pay that much more since I bought a used one) :smile:

Real Name
Morten
I haven't tried the Nikon 16mm, but I really like the Sigma. I find the build quality fine and most important I got it cheap used.

I used it a lot when travelling

In this thread I posted some samples from thailnd:
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=176239

Here's some samples from Berlin

DSC_6002.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_6003.jpg

DSC_5910.jpg

DSC_6146.jpg

DSC_6214.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just picked up a cheap Sigma 15 on the used market. It is everything mentioned in this thread, and much smaller than I expected. This plus the 50 1.8 should be a great stealth kit.

$360 shipped from Adorama. 1 year warranty.
http://www.adorama.com/VV735NK.html

It gives a full 180 degree view on my D200. You can shave the hood and get it to work with FF too I hear. It's fully manual, but focusing really isn't that hard with the depth of field you get with this.

This is good to know as I shoot with a D200 as well. This looks great and when its time to purchase a fish-eye, this will be the one. The 10.5 is just too much $$ to justify itself.

i know its an old thread, but i'm stoked i just got one of these right under $400!! heres a sample image

4255709107_2ec4de9c75_o.jpg

i know its an old thread, but i'm stoked i just got one of these right under $400!! heres a sample image

4255709107_2ec4de9c75_o.jpg

Which one did you get?

Latest threads

Top Bottom