Fisheye options

Real Name
Paul
I'm planning on giving the Z system a go. I'd like a fisheye so am looking at what's available. Without spending silly money it seems that the Sigma 15mm f2.8 is a decent choice, or perhaps the Samyang/Bower 12mm f2.8 (but that's manual focus and no EXIF so it doesn't appeal enormously). Then there's the Nikon 16mm f2.8 D as well. Anyone got any views?

JPS

The Samyang 12mm. f/2.8, even being a manual lens, is an excellent one, very sharp, contrasty and with minimal distortions ! Use it on my Nikon D810 and love it !
If you want the TOP fisheye, have a look at the Nikon 8-15 ! That's actually THE BEST among all the super_wide/fisheyes !! ...but it's not cheap 🥴 !

Real Name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd prefer an AF lens and it seems that the only option with the FTZ is the 8-15. That does look like a great lens, and I like that it goes from a full-circle image to frame-filling. But the price... Another option is the Fringer Canon EOS to Nikon Z adapter plus the Canon EF 15mm f2.8 - but once you factor in the price of the adapter, it's not too different to the Nikon 8-15.

I have the Olympus 8mm f1.8 FE for m43 and that's a superb lens - so quite a hard act to follow.

I own and use all of those on my Nikon D4s as well as my Z7 with adapters. Because the Sigma does not autofocus on the Z7, I tended to use the sharp Samyang 12mm f/2.8 the most until I got my ninth fish-eye lens, the Nikon AF-S 8-15 f/3.5-4.5 zoom. I previously owned a Tokina 10-17mm fish-eye, but it suffered from horrible chromatic aberration, so I sold it. This new lens joins my other recent fish-eye purchase, a Lensbaby 5.8mm f/3.5 APS-C lens in Nikon mount. I also own a Nikkor 16mm f/3.5 non-AIS model, Rokinon 8mm f/3.5, and Sony 16mm fish-eye attachment. The only fish-eye I've ever gotten rid of was a 60's-era Nikkor 7.5mm f/5.6 that required mirror lockup.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow - that's quite a selection of fisheyes you've got! I may give the Samyang a try - esp if I can get one with the chip to record EXIF and aperture. But I'll probably end up with the 8-15 at some point !

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I have the Sig 15mm AF recticular fisheye and LOVE it! Super sharp and little CA. While it is AF on my D850,, I have no idea if it is AF on the Z's...............

Last edited:
Real Name
Tim
I own the Rokinon 8mm 3.5 and the Nikon 8-15 and the Rokinon has collected dust since I got the Nikon. It's not the least expensive way to go but it's one of my favorites to shoot shows with (note this was not on my Z6, this was on my D750 but results have been similar in quality):

750_2840 by Tim Robinson, on Flickr

Real Name
John M.
I recently acquired a AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D and for the price I paid it is great and it works on the Z (albeit manual focus). It is an old design, but it is built like a tank and surprised me with the IQ.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom