Fisheye vs Toronto Part II (in search of lunch)

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by VictorM, Apr 21, 2007.

1. It was a sunny day in Toronto today, and I hooked up with a friend as we went out in search of some lunch.

Shooting details: D70s with 10.5 fisheye - just like last time - shooting from the hip / no looking through the viewfinder or chimping. Don't know what you got until you get home :biggrin:

So our journey begins:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First we headed over to city hall, thinking we might get something from one of the street vendors that are always in the area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But nothing really appealed to us. So we continued our search.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we saw this lady loading pigs into a truck, and we immediately knew we had to grab some peameal bacon sandwiches :tongue: The guy walking by didn't see too impressed with the pigs.

[​IMG]

So we headed to the obvious spot - St Lawrence Market :biggrin:

[​IMG]

Outside we saw this interesting band made up of an adult and two younger boys playing guitar.

[​IMG]

Wow! We're getting close now, as we walk down the hallway.

[​IMG]

Hurray!! Success !!! Yummmmmm !!

[​IMG]

Afterwards...Stopping to help out some tourists.

[​IMG]

And of course, here's the obligatory, "they're gunnin' for us" photo. Plus it seems I captured some giant bird or UFO thingy (near the top of the building).

[​IMG]

We also came across this giant cookie on the sidewalk, but decided to pass, as we were still full from the peameal bacon sandwiches. Maybe next time, it didn't look like it was going anywhere.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2007
  2. jaleel

jaleel

Apr 3, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    great set!
    #7 #10 and #12 are my faves
    it was a fantastic day.. too bad i was at tryouts so i spent it doing sprints and running up the hill at Riverdale Park =(

3. THX! I havent been to my hogtown of Toronto for 10 years, so you`ve saved me an expensive air flight!:Whistle:

4. Shooting from the hip with a fisheye is a very easy and safe way to be unobtrusive as you shoot on the street. Unfortunately, it also results in a lot of photos that are not particularly interesting, and worse yet, (unless you are extremely close to your subject matter) subjects that appear to be quite distant from the viewer. Of the 14 shots here, the only one that I find interesting is number 12. The rest remind me of the slides I get that result from firing the shutter to advance to the first frame after re-loading a camera.
    If you are taking a survey on this technique, put me down for a "no".

5. Very interesting! Thanks for posting.

6. Thanks!

I'm glad I was able to bring back some memories.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm still experimenting with it, and perfecting the technique, so I'll be sure to keep working on it and post more.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2007
  7. Victor, I really like this series. You certainly had fun putting it all together and nothing beats a peameal bacon at SLM on a Saturday morning in the spring sunshine!! :biggrin:

Toronto is a fabulous city for just wandering around with a camera in hand.

8. Thanks Sandi, I knew you would recognize all the streets and buildings :biggrin:

I definately agree, it's all about having some fun and not taking things seriously, where the camera just becomes incidental <gasp>.