1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Fisheye?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by airbiscuit, Apr 17, 2007.

1. I'v been thinkin about the 2 which is the 10.5mm and 16mm.

Am not sure about these fisheyes' because discussions about these lenses seem a bit less than others. So any users care to share some thoughts, pros and cons, experience etc etc?

As a side note, if I were to get any of the 2 it will be mounted on my D200.

2. InitialD

InitialD

Mar 12, 2007
    Malaysia
    The two fisheyes are different. The AF-S 10.5mm f/2.8 fisheye is for DX format while the AF 16mm f/2.8 fisheye is for FF 35mm film cameras.

You can use the AF 16mm f/2.8 on a 1.5x cropped sensor Nikon DSLR but you will not get real fisheye images as you would get with an AF-S 10.5mm f/2.8 fisheye. Just slightly curved and wide pictures.

If you want to read about the AF 16mm f/2.8 fisheye and view some samples, you can have a lookie here;

http://www.pbase.com/mikench/nikon_16mm_f28d_fisheye

3. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    The 10.5 fisheye is for DX cameras only. From corner to corner it covers 180 degrees with a extreme barrel distorton giving the fisheye effect.

The 16/2.8 fisheye is the equivalent lens for film. It covers 180 degress on film, somewhat less on smaller DX format. Barrel distortion is strong but the fisheye effect is milder compared to the 10.5 fisheye.

The choice really depends on whether you prefer the exteme fisheye effect from the 10.5 lens or a milder effect. I generally find extreme wideangles and fisheyes difficult to work with. Because they "see" everything, it's difficult to be selective about what's included in the picture, often you cannot crop out an unwanted element in the picture without including another somewhere else. For that reason I'd suggest the 16mm fisheye might be easier to work with and may yield more keepers, even though it's not quite as dramatic as the 10.5 fisheye. I've seen wedding photographers use the 16mm fisheye to great effect.

If you can't decide between then, you could check out the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye zoom which gives you both in one lens.

4. I use it with my D70, big distortion and great fun!

5. jaymc

jaymc Guest

Here's a recent shot taken a few days ago with a 10.5mm Nikkor (also posted in the "flowers" section):

[​IMG]

- Jay

6. Get the 10.5......

7. OMG! You'r killing me! :biggrin:

8. Off-topic:

Do you guys find you almost always need to dial into excessive +EV when using fisheye? I believe it's because it's including too much bright space...

9. Nope - I find that the fisheye is about the same as other lenses in terms of compensation needed. The very wide angle does sometimes require +EV to bring up the shadows, but it also sometimes requires -EV to tone down highlights.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.